Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
In iOS9 Mail if one quickly does a "long" swipe to the right, a mail gets deleted. Maybe I am a complete idiot :D but this happens so often to me, when I just want to do a short right-swipe on a mail to touch buttons to sort it away or mark the mail.

Any way to just disable this immediate delete/move to trash feature? It's so annoying!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options (in the Mail section)

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options (in the Mail section)
I tried, but there I can only choose which button to add if I am doing an easy right swipe. No way there to stop immediate delete on strong right swipe. At least not in iOS 9.2.1.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tried, but there I can only choose which button to add if I am doing an easy right swipe. No way there to stop immediate delete on strong right swipe. At least not in iOS 9.2.1.
Haven't really played around with those much, but it seems like that does only add an item and not control the long swipe, which is kind of odd. And it's not even consistent, for me on left swipe the delete is always there on long swipe and the control only adds an additional short wipe button, but on right swipe I can only have a single long swipe action and I control it through that settings page.
[doublepost=1456345046][/doublepost]What are your settings for the following (out of curiosity):

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options > Swipe Right:

and

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (mail account you are using) > Account > Advanced > Move Discarded Messages Into:

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Okay I must admit, I just also messed up left and right. :D But also Apple does…At least in German even the light grey info text above the options in the "swipe right" menu is wrong. It says there would be options to delete, mark and archive messages when swiping right, which obviously are only available for left swipes… ;)

Either way, the problem persists, if I do a long left swipe emails get deleted/moved to trash immediately. Instead I would just say same result as for a short left swipe. For me there really is the two step verification missing for such a strong action. (Even if a mail gets only moved to trash, I still need to go there by several steps and move it back manually to the inbox.)

What are your settings for the following (out of curiosity):
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options > Swipe Right:
and
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (mail account you are using) > Account > Advanced > Move Discarded Messages Into:

For swipe left I have added the mark email button.
Emails are moved to my Deleted Messages folder when deleted. (That's perfect, don't wanna change that, just the way to "delete" message feels too dangerous and easy going for me… I so often move emails to trash when I just want to mark them for being important or sorting them away.)

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
In iOS9 Mail if one quickly does a "long" swipe to the right, a mail gets deleted. Maybe I am a complete idiot :D but this happens so often to me, when I just want to do a short right-swipe on a mail to touch buttons to sort it away or mark the mail.

Any way to just disable this immediate delete/move to trash feature? It's so annoying!

short answer: no

long answer: nooooooooooooooo

Reactions: Canubis

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I noticed that when I swipe from right to left I need to do it slower and keep my finger on the display then pull it straight up. If I keep moving my finger to the left or flick it to the left then it'll trigger the delete. A very short swipe from right to left also seems to work.

It's rather annoying that they didn't make it so that you really have to go from right to left.

Reactions: Canubis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.