Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Hello everyone, hope your day is going great!

Exactly 2 weeks ago, I came home and opened my iPad's smart cover and saw that I've gotten some mails throughout the day, weird thing was that I had my iPhone with me all day and it never notified me.. I opened the app and it told me that it hadn't updated since the morning! I sent some test mails including to my iCloud adress(which I have as push) and nothing... I rebooted the phone and it worked fine again and considered it as an tempoary bug.

But now 2 weeks after it's doing the same! I rebooted it 45 min ago, sent a sent mail through iCloud which immediatly came through though, I sent an test mail on my Gmail and I waited 40 min for the phone to fetch new data and yet nothing... Does anyone else have this problem? Worked fine yesterday(I think) but now, nope. My iPad running the same version works perfectly fine. Happends both over 4G and WiFi. It's an 6 running 9.2.1. It even says 'Last updated 37 minutes ago' even though I've set it on fetching new data at 15 min...

Thanks!

colburnr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Hello everyone, hope your day is going great!

Exactly 2 weeks ago, I came home and opened my iPad's smart cover and saw that I've gotten some mails throughout the day, weird thing was that I had my iPhone with me all day and it never notified me.. I opened the app and it told me that it hadn't updated since the morning! I sent some test mails including to my iCloud adress(which I have as push) and nothing... I rebooted the phone and it worked fine again and considered it as an tempoary bug.

But now 2 weeks after it's doing the same! I rebooted it 45 min ago, sent a sent mail through iCloud which immediatly came through though, I sent an test mail on my Gmail and I waited 40 min for the phone to fetch new data and yet nothing... Does anyone else have this problem? Worked fine yesterday(I think) but now, nope. My iPad running the same version works perfectly fine. Happends both over 4G and WiFi. It's an 6 running 9.2.1. It even says 'Last updated 37 minutes ago' even though I've set it on fetching new data at 15 min...

Thanks!

I have the same problem. If I force close the mail app (swipe up in multi-task), I will not receive "push notifications" for my icloud email. However, if I leave the mail app open and in the background, everything runs fine. I have noticed similar behavior with other apps, such as Wunderground. It didn't used to be this way, not sure what changed.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I have the same problem. If I force close the mail app (swipe up in multi-task), I will not receive "push notifications" for my icloud email. However, if I leave the mail app open and in the background, everything runs fine. I have noticed similar behavior with other apps, such as Wunderground. It didn't used to be this way, not sure what changed.

Glad to hear that I'm not alone, do you have an Gmail account linked to it aswell? Hm, I got an notification from AppShopper in the middle of the day that one app I got installed had been updated, but nothing more.

Quick edit: I'll try to send another mail to my iCloud adress and see what happends. I got caught up in some other things and forgot to send it, but check my post below here to see what happened:
[doublepost=1455207930][/doublepost]Huh, I sat here on the forums browsing around and all by a sudden I heard the mail notification sound from my phone! This is weird as hell... I wonder if it'll occour next thirsday too(or the one after that).

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This has been an ongoing intermittent bug. It was first thought to affect only POP3 but it affects other types also.
Cause = ???
I have POP3, IMAP, iCloud, and Exchange on my 6S+ and infrequently run into this except for Exchange. (knock on wood). This is only on the stock email I have seen this. Gmail app is fine. So far Outlook and Airmail are fine.

Playing around with Airmail and Outlook to see if those are better. Wish we could default email :(

Reactions: colburnr

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
It certainly couldn't hurt...if you choose to do so, and you have the time, let me know what they say.

I gave them a call and they hadn't gotten any reports about it. I asked if I should fill in a bugreport and the technician definitely recomended it, so I'll do that right away!

This has been an ongoing intermittent bug. It was first thought to affect only POP3 but it affects other types also.
Cause = ???
I have POP3, IMAP, iCloud, and Exchange on my 6S+ and infrequently run into this except for Exchange. (knock on wood). This is only on the stock email I have seen this. Gmail app is fine. So far Outlook and Airmail are fine.

Playing around with Airmail and Outlook to see if those are better. Wish we could default email :(

Hm, for how long have you experienced this?

Last edited:

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Since 9.0.
Stock email has a number of issues since 7.x and Apple never seems to really address them - so I tend to keep a closer than normal look at it.

I tend to get this more on my 6S+ than my Mini4 (LTE). Not sure why.

Weird... I was just about to send the report before the bugreport page decided to send it just because I tried to create a new line, it didn't work so I gotta re-write it again... Ugh

EDIT: I'll have to do that later, my connection is just dying and Apple's webpage is EXTREMLY slow..

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
What was your email setting ? Fetch and what time? if you have icloud only I assume you do push. If you set push then it won't fetch for gmail type accounts.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
What was your email setting ? Fetch and what time? if you have icloud only I assume you do push.

My iCloud is at push and my Gmail is at fetch every 15 min.

If you set push then it won't fetch for gmail type accounts.

Are you sure about that? It has worked since my old iPhone 4, 5 years ago... Why would it NOT fetch for gmail all by a sudden and it can be fixed by rebooting? Or do I need to set my Gmail to push aswell(Probably will plumber my battery...).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
There have definitely been people who have experienced inconsistencies when it comes to checking for new mail, sometimes with push and other times with fetch.

Some of the past threads about this (and I recall there being at least one or a few more with similar issues):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gmail-fetch-ios-9.1921612/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-mail-app-not-consistently-fetching.1920052/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/email-problems-please-help.1940421/

Damn those threads never came up when I searched... Should I just sit here and wait for Apple/Google to fix this or...?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Damn those threads never came up when I searched... Should I just sit here and wait for Apple/Google to fix this or...?
I just remembered coming across people taking about similar issues in the past and dug around a bit based on that. As for solutions, I'm not sure there's much we can do. Short of trying to remove the email account and re-adding it to see if that might make a difference somehow (or perhaps taking the more complex route of trying to reset all settings or even restoring the device as new to experiment if that might make a difference), it sounds like it's out of our hands.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
I have exactly the same problem with my Yahoo! account!

It used to be fixed but for a few weeks it appears again... Really annoying as I always have to open the app manually!

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I just remembered coming across people taking about similar issues in the past and dug around a bit based on that. As for solutions, I'm not sure there's much we can do. Short of trying to remove the email account and re-adding it to see if that might make a difference somehow (or perhaps taking the more complex route of trying to reset all settings or even restoring the device as new to experiment if that might make a difference), it sounds like it's out of our hands.

Yeah.. Problem is that I've gotten a specific app password for the mail so removing and adding it won't be a pleasant experience..

I have exactly the same problem with my Yahoo! account!

It used to be fixed but for a few weeks it appears again... Really annoying as I always have to open the app manually!

Tried rebooting? Solved it for me, although it comes back one or two weeks later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.