Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 16.47.55.png
How do I get rid of or permanently top this annoying little filter.

I did not ask for it and having to reset all my stuff after every shutdown is ugly.

Apple assist said I had to alter the setting for each mail box manually but did not mention I would have to do it on each start up.

Does anyone know a way to have no filter. I have no need of it I just want to see my emails in their folders when I click on the folder. Simples.

Using third party Browser and email client beckons. Too many unnecessary changes without notice and without knowledge base on line.

Rant over, question still stands. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 16.47.55.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 16.47.55.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 20

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Does "start up" mean
  • shutting down and rebooting your Mac or...
  • quitting the Mail app and relaunching Mail app or...
  • closing the visible Mail window by clicking the red circle in the top left corner and pressing the Mail icon in the Dock when there is a circle underneath it to show the Mail window
???

Selecting menu View > Filter should allow you to toggle filters on and off by selecting "Enable/Disable Message Filter". This is not working?

Reactions: chown33

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Here's Apple's reference page on Mac Mail Filters:

It tells what to do to turn off all filters.

Are you saying that you've done what it says, and the filters remain enabled?

You could try making a new Mac user account (Settings > Users & Groups), adding a single email account to it, then testing to see if filter enable/disable persists beyond Mail.app launch, and OS reboot.

The purpose of this test is to see if the problem is with Mail.app in general, or the particular settings of an accounts saved preferences files.

If filter enable/disable works in the new user account, then the problem may lie with the permissions, ownership, or state of the Mail.app saved preferences files.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Does "start up" mean
  • shutting down and rebooting your Mac or...
  • quitting the Mail app and relaunching Mail app or...
  • closing the visible Mail window by clicking the red circle in the top left corner and pressing the Mail icon in the Dock when there is a circle underneath it to show the Mail window
???

Selecting menu View > Filter should allow you to toggle filters on and off by selecting "Enable/Disable Message Filter". This is not working?
Apologies "start up" is restarting the computer or in this case closing down "mail" and the reopening it.

Toggling anything is something I can accept when using an app. but even then I would expect it to stay in my selected choice. and only affect maybe one document/image what ever. Toggling a selection that affects the whole filing system and goes to it default setting on startup just makes no sense(to me).
I want that filter "off" so that the mail app. opens as I left it.
So is there a way of me ding that and having it stay the way I want it?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Toggling anything is something I can accept when using an app. but even then I would expect it to stay in my selected choice.
Be more specific. Does menu View > Filter > show "Enable Message Filters" or "Disable Message Filters" ?

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Be more specific. Does menu View > Filter > show "Enable Message Filters" or "Disable Message Filters" ?
Yes., but it needs doing each time I open 'mail' after restart. I want the filter 'off' permanently not as something I have to do each time I open mail after restart.
I'm sorry I cannot be more precise - language is a funny thing - everyone seems to call computer stuff whatever they want - I suppose we get used to working alone and our own words just stick. If your in IT I suppose it is different.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Yes., but it needs doing each time I open 'mail' after restart. I want the filter 'off' permanently not as something I have to do each time I open mail after restart.
So the menu View > Filter > shows “Disable Message Filters” when you launch Mail. You have to manually select it so it changes to “Enable Message Filters”. At this point mail filter is off. You shutdown and restart, launch Mail app, and the menu item has reverted to “Disable Message Filters”. Does this specifically describe what is happening?

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Pretty much - In my language - no emails in the folders whenI open mail after restart of Mac - Do the filter thing>get all my mail visible as long as the Mac is running and then do it again the next day on restart. So that sounds the same!!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.