Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I did a clean install of Mac Sierra on the SSD of my wife's MacBook Air (mid-2012) the day it was release (first time EVER installing a dot-zero release of an OS; exhilarating, I know). It runs great, except whenever you click on any message in Apple Mail, it flickers three times:

1. All messages in the mailbox list flicker twice (about 1 second),
2. After the flicker, the selected message appears in the preview pane at the right, then
3. After that, there's one more flicker.

I found a thread on Apple about this but that user initially didn't do a clean install and later did (whereas I started with a clean SSD). I hate to bother reinstalling the OS. My thinking is to wait for 10.12.1.

However, if anyone else has seen this and fixed it, please let me know. (Note that this is not related to the five lights issue eventually reported by Capt. Picard.)

KENTW

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I did a clean install of Mac Sierra on the SSD of my wife's MacBook Air (mid-2012) the day it was release (first time EVER installing a dot-zero release of an OS; exhilarating, I know). It runs great, except whenever you click on any message in Apple Mail, it flickers three times:

1. All messages in the mailbox list flicker twice (about 1 second),
2. After the flicker, the selected message appears in the preview pane at the right, then
3. After that, there's one more flicker.

I found a thread on Apple about this but that user initially didn't do a clean install and later did (whereas I started with a clean SSD). I hate to bother reinstalling the OS. My thinking is to wait for 10.12.1.

However, if anyone else has seen this and fixed it, please let me know. (Note that this is not related to the five lights issue eventually reported by Capt. Picard.)

I have the exact same issue..... Probably best just to wait for the next update and see if that fixes it. Seems to be prevalent.

KENTW

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I have the exact same issue..... Probably best just to wait for the next update and see if that fixes it. Seems to be prevalent.

Has anyone else having this issue? The upgrade to 10.12.1 didn't fix for me and i don't fancy doing a clean install. Just trying to gauge if this is a widespread problem. Cheers

KENTW

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Has anyone else having this issue? The upgrade to 10.12.1 didn't fix for me and i don't fancy doing a clean install. Just trying to gauge if this is a widespread problem. Cheers

Just in case anyone is interested - i fixed my issue by performing an SMC reset. Shut down iMac, unplug and leave for a while unplugged, plug back in and restart - Fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.