Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I was travelling last week in Europe and was at a hotel that had free wifi.
I was able to get my mail as normal on either the iphone or the ipad (both running ios 5x).
I remember seeing a message about allowing or denying some sort of incoming connections on both devices at one point, and I hit deny.
Things seemed to continue ok, but now back home in the UK, if I try to get mail from either device, I am presented with a welcome to Mail window and I am forced to set up a new mail account. But then it won't verify the info and tells me that it can't connect using ssl and if I want to try connecting without it.
If I say yes, it never finishes verifying and if I decline, then the process stops completely.
Both devices are behaving exactly the same way and both were fine before.
I use a regular pop account with ntlworld, and my desktop computer still works fine for getting mail. I have no other mail accounts, such as gmail, etc.
I have tried rebooting each device with no effect, and tried to sync the devices by connecting to my computer and itunes.
Nothing seems to work.
Can anyone advise on what I may have done wrong and how to fix the problem?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I don't think that anyone cares.
750 views and not a single effort to advise.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Maybe nobody knew what the solution was so didn't suggest anything?

Not only that, but you let a little more than two hours pass before you posted your "Never Mind".

Give people a little more time to see. Views aren't everything, as any of the thousands of daily guests we have here on MR count towards it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Views do not mean that no one cares. Your subject is pretty vague do people have to view the thread to see what you're talking about. Clicking on a thread doesn't mean that the person clicking on the thread knows the answer. Stop taking it so personally. This is a discussion forum site. This is how they work.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I cared enough to ask for your solution. Believe me, if I'd had the answer, you'd have had it, too. :)

Given the other posts in this thread, it looks as if you're the one who doesn't care. :(

Be helpful. It costs nothing and could make a world of difference to someone else. :)

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I realize that this is not a real help forum.
It's a rumor site for fanboys to argue and ding each other with silly little points.
I knew that I was wasting my time asking for advice here.
The Apple help forums are the place to go if you want to get and give advice.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
It's a rumor site for fanboys to argue and ding each other with silly little points.

Wow, you are a real piece of work.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Pfffft. Don't discount an entire community because you didn't happen to get an immediate resolution to an unusual problem (then announcing within 2 hours that you'd fixed it.) Frankly, I'm surprised that you get any help anywhere, given your condescending attitude. I daresay that most of us are also members at Apple.com, too, something that you might want to remember going forward.

Let me remind you that you didn't contribute anything, either. I'm sorry that I assumed you were someone who might want to help the next guy. I assume that of everyone here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.