Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicDude4Eva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
South Africa
Has anyone been able to figure out how you can re-order mail accounts in mail? With Yosemite and previous versions it was as simple as just dragging the accounts in the order desired. The re-ordering works in 10.11, but once you close Mail, the order resets to the default (i.e. the order the mail accounts are listed in the Internet Account preference pane).

The work-around of unticking "mail" in all accounts and then ticking it in the order desired is also only temporary until Mail is restarted.

Only option seems to be to delete all mail accounts and then create in the order wanted.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Just curious, what difference does it make what order the accounts are in to you? I realize that the first one in the list is the "default" send address (which is why I use the trick in Yosemite), but is that the only reason you use it?

MagicDude4Eva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
South Africa
Just curious, what difference does it make what order the accounts are in to you? I realize that the first one in the list is the "default" send address (which is why I use the trick in Yosemite), but is that the only reason you use it?

No, I have 2 work-accounts, 1 cloud, 1 google apps, 1 gmail, 1 ISP. I am used to have the accounts sorted in that order of priority. I think I am just going to delete the accounts and create them in the order required. Nothing else worked.

MagicDude4Eva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
South Africa
I just made the change the same way as previous versions.

Really? This did not work for me and the order got lost when I restarted mail.

Now things just got worse, after I deleted the mail accounts as trying to add a Gmail account just sits there with the icon spinning:
upload_2015-6-11_16-8-58.png

MagicDude4Eva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
South Africa
I finally managed to fix this and unfortunately I can not replicate all the steps, but when looking into Console, I noticed this error "os x com.apple.preferences.internetaccounts.remoteservice Failed to properly identify Apple's EV certificate. Cancelling." when trying to add a Google account.

I think a combination of the following solved it:
  • I closed the preference pane
  • Deleted internet account plists (such as
    ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist)
  • Deleted from Keychain all previous mail settings (including Google oauth settings etc)
  • Repaired diskpermissions
  • Rebooted
I can now maintain the mailbox order since I have created the mail box accounts in the order I wanted them.

saneef

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
Oh okay.

Hope somebody will figure out a fix for this problem in 'Beta 2'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.