Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonoH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Abu Dhabi UAE
Looks like I have a mail issue in the Sierra DP1. Wanting to see if anyone else has this manifest so I can trouble shoot or work out whats going wrong.

I have IMAP with google apps and I store nothing locally on my Mac. Whenever I sent a mail it sends it and creates a new "On My Mac" mailbox. I check in preferences and its all linked for cloud mailboxes.. Super annoying. Is anyone else having this issue with DP1? I delete the On My Mac mailbox and it comes back each and every time I send/delete etc an email :/

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 7.27.15 am.jpg Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 7.27.22 am.jpg

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
If you installed Sierra over your old install, I would test in a new User to see if you see the same behavior. It could just be an issue in your User's folder and not a Sierra bug.

Reactions: JonoH

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
Looks like I have a mail issue in the Sierra DP1. Wanting to see if anyone else has this manifest so I can trouble shoot or work out whats going wrong.

I have IMAP with google apps and I store nothing locally on my Mac. Whenever I sent a mail it sends it and creates a new "On My Mac" mailbox. I check in preferences and its all linked for cloud mailboxes.. Super annoying. Is anyone else having this issue with DP1? I delete the On My Mac mailbox and it comes back each and every time I send/delete etc an email :/

View attachment 636802 View attachment 636803
I do not have such an issue.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I haven't been able to successfully launch Mail.app since I installed Sierra so I can't say!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
If you sent an email using any account (iCloud, etc.) other than the Gmail account, it'll create that Sent: On My Mac folder. Is it possible you did that?

JonoH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Abu Dhabi UAE
If you sent an email using any account (iCloud, etc.) other than the Gmail account, it'll create that Sent: On My Mac folder. Is it possible you did that?
Just checked... Nope :( thanks for pointing that one out though, ill keep this in my mind for the future.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
I made a fresh Sierra PB installation on a SSD drive on my Mac Pro 2010.
First issue: I have 3 mail accounts (iCloud and another two, but no Google Mail). Mail app launches but crashes every time I do click either on any Inbox or any message.
My second issue is that Contacts app crashes systematically on launching.
On might reasonably hope that those issues would be fixed in the next beta update.
Now the queer thing: no glitch whatsoever on my Parallels macOS Sierra VM! Mail and Contacts apps keep working as expected from within Parallels on El Capitan.
Any idea?

Last edited:

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I made a fresh Sierra PB installation on a SSD drive on my Mac Pro 2010.
First issue: I have 3 mail accounts (iCloud and another two, but no Google Mail). Mail app launches but crashes every time I do click either on any Inbox or any message.
My second issue is that Contacts app crashes systematically on launching.
On might reasonably hope that those issues would be fixed in the next beta update.
Now the queer thing: no glitch whatsoever on my Parallels macOS Sierra VM! Mail and Contacts apps keep working as expected from within Parallels on El Capitan.
Any idea?

I simply removed all of my mail accounts from "Internet Accounts" in System Prefs, then I was able to open Mail without it crashing. Re-added all of my mail accounts from Mail>Preferences (NOT the accounts section underneath that), and the app has been working without issue ever since.

Not sure what it was, but that fixed it. I would not recommend doing this with a POP account, however, as your mail is not likely to come back when you sign in again.

Reactions: Samuel Bradshaw

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I love using OS X's Mail app, but I must admit that aside from Photos, it's the most janky, finicky, dumbfounding app they offer. Every time I set it up for myself, or someone else, it's a toss-up if it'll work fine, somewhat work, mostly work, or not work at all.

12CoreMP

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
My Apple mail is crashing all the time in Sierra Beta 2. I deleted the accounts in system preferences but as soon as I click on an email Apple Mail crashes. Never happened in Beta 1. Messages crashes as well.

JonoH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Abu Dhabi UAE
Im still getting the issue where it creates a local mail box when I send mail with google Apps accounts :/

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I came here to see if anyone had the same specific problem I am.

First of all, AIRMAIL does not work under the new Beta 2. It worked fine under Beta 1. AIRMAIL just crashes every time.

However, in addition, MAIL just sits there for several long minutes before it can even attempt to download new mail.

I am using iCloud iMAP as well as forwarding from GMAIL (to block out spam)

Have sent a diagnostics report to Apple

MacPioneer

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
I'm on Beta 6, and I'm finding that Mail is dumping a lot more "good" stuff in the junk mail folder. Really annoying to have to look for my morning NYT headlines or my Scientific American daily digest there - never used to happen with El Capitan.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Same here. All my mail (Apple Mail app) is going in the junk folder.

Additionally, it takes forever for clients like Airmail to download mail.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
It sounds like migrating Mail accounts to Sierra is hit-and-miss. I will be archiving my emails (incl POP accounts) with Mail Steward before I "upgrade". It doesn't allow you to restore emails back to Mail but it does create a handy, searchable MySQL database.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I had to switch from Airmail to Apple Mail in the latest DP6 because Airmail is just working slow now. It could be an issue that they need to fix in their app but Apple Mail seems to be working great now, faster than before I switched to Airmail back on El Capitan. It feels like less memory usage when left open also...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.