Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Seriously that is the whole issue? You hear a the notification beep and you have to wait 4 seconds before the banner appears?

Mail has way more issues than that. And even if that was the only issue, it's unacceptable that Apple can't provide a working mail app when 3rd party mail apps don't have these issues.

Reactions: Unsupported

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
For me, it seems slightly better than iOS13 and I actually would rather use Apple’s mail app over the gmail app, but I can’t. I tried but I just can’t stand that it doesn’t support push for gmail.

Reactions: Remington Steel

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Well, Spark works really well so its not a major deal, more of just an annoyance. Its baffling to me that Apple can’t figure out and improve their own mail app.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Can't believe that its still broken over a year on :/

I've downgraded to iOS 13, I found mail even worse in 14.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
For me, it seems slightly better than iOS13 and I actually would rather use Apple’s mail app over the gmail app, but I can’t. I tried but I just can’t stand that it doesn’t support push for gmail.
Same here. Gmail,...just works.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I am genuinely surprised that people still hold on and actually want to use Apple Mail in 2020. There are so many better alternatives!
That's me! I've only made the switch two days ago and I cannot believe it took me this long! I'm using Spark at the moment and I love it!

Reactions: one more

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Maybe for you it is just that, but while I'm doing other stuff with Mail hidden and mail is getting checked every 5 minutes I'd really like to know if new mail has arrived without me having to put up with being annoyed, or find a workaround.

View attachment 954788

Then Just wait a little longer for Apple to fix it! :D And you always hear the notification beep if there's new mail. If you don't hear it, there's no new e-mail.

Mail has way more issues than that. And even if that was the only issue, it's unacceptable that Apple can't provide a working mail app when 3rd party mail apps don't have these issues.

Well, i see plenty of screenshots here of people who have 40.000 unread e-mails in their mailbox and those folks are somehow surprised that the app is slow? An Excel Sheet with 20000 rows is also slower to open than one with 100 rows. People with 40.000 unread emails clearly don't know how to use the whole concept of e-mail. Start deleting all the crap and see how *snappy* Mail becomes! ?

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Then Just wait a little longer for Apple to fix it! :D And you always hear the notification beep if there's new mail. If you don't hear it, there's no new e-mail.

I was using Eudora since 1995 until it ceased to work after a MacOS update, I don't remember which.

Although I miss a lot of the advanced features of Eudora I've got used to the simplicity of Mail, and I find that email is used much less now in favour of "Social" media anyway.

I like to keep my Macs free of 3rd party applications as far as possible, and email being such a basic use of the internet, in fact historically the very first, I can't understand why Apple can't fix this bug, and even improve Mail much more.

YMMV, in fact it's clear that it does.

Last edited:

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014

Well, i see plenty of screenshots here of people who have 40.000 unread e-mails in their mailbox and those folks are somehow surprised that the app is slow? An Excel Sheet with 20000 rows is also slower to open than one with 100 rows. People with 40.000 unread emails clearly don't know how to use the whole concept of e-mail. Start deleting all the crap and see how *snappy* Mail becomes! ?

Yeah I can see why that would cause it to slow down, but that's not me. I don't have an issue with it being slow, its more of notifications not showing up, or showing up hours later after the mail has been read, disappearing emails, or getting an email notification and then it not being in the inbox until I close the app and reopen it.

Reactions: Unsupported

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Yeah I can see why that would cause it to slow down, but that's not me. I don't have an issue with it being slow, its more of notifications not showing up, or showing up hours later after the mail has been read, disappearing emails, or getting an email notification and then it not being in the inbox until I close the app and reopen it.

I have numerous mailboxes and mailboxes within mailboxes imported from Eudora containing emails from 1995 onwards, and Mail is plenty speedy in opening them all, searching within them, and generally doing everything it's supposed to, except show and play notifications for new mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: DinkThifferent

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Has anyone tried to use Mail Drop in iOS 14? Status page says its up and running, but my iPhone/iPad and partners iPad all get an error connecting to the SMTP when I try to send stuff. Sending and receive small attachments normally isn’t an issue.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
A year later, multiple updates, a new OS released, and mail is still awful. I honestly cannot believe that Apple has seemingly just given up on it. The only account I have that works correctly is my iCloud account (go figure). My exchange and gMail still suffer from the same issues they did with iOS 13. Apple seemingly only cares if their mail is working correctly even though iCloud is never used by businesses, if used at all.

I thought I’d give it a go again with the new GM of iOS 14, but upon using it all day yesterday and last night, the same issues occur. No mail showing up, notifications showing up way later after the mail is showing in the app, or not getting notifications at all and having to do multiple refreshes. What a shame, a great app totally ruined by the dumpster fire that was iOS 13. Oh well, back to Spark I guess.
I didn’t have any mail issues in iOS 13. I have all of the above issues now in iOS 14. Progress!

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
That's me! I've only made the switch two days ago and I cannot believe it took me this long! I'm using Spark at the moment and I love it!
Is there a way for emails to still display in the widget regardless if they are “read” or not?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Apples terrible mail handling has actually benefited me.

About a year ago I eventually decided to give much less importance to email.

I use to run gmail, desktop notifications, push, all sorts. I was constantly being interrupted and felt the need to reply. Especially in corporate environments, the feeling of immediately responding to show attentive professionalism for example; the whole concept of fast mail just disrupted my whole creative pattern.

Now I just get notified every hour and generally check a few times a day. Staying focused on work and blanking out all notifications not just mail has certainly helped.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
Apples terrible mail handling has actually benefited me.

About a year ago I eventually decided to give much less importance to email.

I use to run gmail, desktop notifications, push, all sorts. I was constantly being interrupted and felt the need to reply. Especially in corporate environments, the feeling of immediately responding to show attentive professionalism for example; the whole concept of fast mail just disrupted my whole creative pattern.

Now I just get notified every hour and generally check a few times a day. Staying focused on work and blanking out all notifications not just mail has certainly helped.
I understand, but we live in an "instant gratification" society and we are all spoiled to a point. I get a sort of anxiety when I get an email but the notification comes 5-10 minutes later (due to the "push/retrieve" issue). Hence the reason why I use the Gmail app (instant notification).

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Re: Jobs quote - and that's why, the day after a seemingly rushed release of iOS 14 (catching developers off-guard with less than 24 hours notice), Apple released the beta 14.2? ?

Meanwhile , waiting for the inevitable 14.1.xxx 'updates' in the days to follow as common bugs that should have been squished start hitting the Forums and Media. Mail being one of them.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Meanwhile , waiting for the inevitable 14.1.xxx 'updates' in the days to follow as common bugs that should have been squished start hitting the Forums and Media. Mail being one of them.

I really don't understand why they rushed releasing iOS 14... they could have just kept it back till the iPhone 12's come out ?

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I had some issues on iOS13 with the stock Mail app (mainly opening the app after a notification there was a slight delay before the email was actually there). I tried Outlook but to me it wasn't much better and it doesn't support iCloud aliases. My AppleID is different from the main email alais I use so getting 3rd party apps to work is a pain.

But since being on iOS14 since B2 I've had no issues on my iPP or iPhone X.

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Had to throw a bone to the common rabble who haven't the desire (or cash) to buy an iPad or Watch.

Because they released new watches. The Series 6 can only run on iOS 14 enabled devices.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
After updating to iOS 14 the Mail app will now show an unread badge of “50” but when I go into mail there are no unread emails and the badge then goes away.

This happens about once or twice per day, otherwise the Mail app is working fine.

Never had this bug before though. Any ideas what could be the cause of this? Nothings changed in Mail/email accounts, just the move from iOS 13 to 14.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
After updating to iOS 14 the Mail app will now show an unread badge of “50” but when I go into mail there are no unread emails and the badge then goes away.

This happens about once or twice per day, otherwise the Mail app is working fine.

Never had this bug before though. Any ideas what could be the cause of this? Nothings changed in Mail/email accounts, just the move from iOS 13 to 14.
Exactly the same here on my iPhone and iPad.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
The one thing I just cant understand is why the mail app doesnt send push read receipts.

This drives me insane. Has done for years. Every successive iOS update I hope they introduce it and they never do. It just makes no sense.

I can read text messages, set reminders as complete etc etc on different devices and that proliferates to all my other devices. This is one of the strengths of iCloud....

But when I read an email on MacOS... it remains as unread with the badge UNTIL i go into the mail app and only then will it catch up and clear itself. What makes things even more silly is that it DOES work in reverse on MacOS... so if you read and delete an email from an iOS device is DOES reflect on macOS.... however it does NOT work in reverse so an email read on MacOS does not reflect on the iOS device.

Anyone have any ideas why this is still the case, all these years later?

It drives me nuts when i am working on my iMac or MacBook..... reading, replying to, deleting emails... and then later glancing at my phone to see all those emails flagged as new/unread.... until I open the mail app to clear the notification.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Perhaps you didn't read my previous comment(s)?

Unsupported said:

Sometimes there's no beep or banner for way more than 4 seconds.

I'm referring to Mail in Catalina, and before..

I did not say "4 seconds" - you did. Nobody else has mentioned "4 seconds" except you. You're editing posts in your replies simply to troll.

Not cool!

Here's what I actually said. Find a post where anybody other than you mentions "4 seconds".

I said, "One thing that really bothers me is how Mail only notifies new mail after a long delay, sometimes up to 30 minutes after receiving the new message(s)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: adrianlondon

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
Always worked flawlessly for me with my Gmail account. I only do basic email tasks on my iOS devices though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.