Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've been using Mail to connect to my Gmail account pretty much since getting my first Mac, and all my set-ups are basically transfers from that initial set-up(using migration assistant).

A couple of days ago, Mail on my main MBP quit connecting to Gmail and instead returns the error "The server “imap.gmail.com” cannot be contacted on port 993."

I've tried closing and restarting mail, rebooting the computer, and deleting then re-adding the account. I've tinkered around with some miscellaneous suggestions online, including changing to port 995(although I changed it back to 993 as I understand that 995 is for POP3).

I have another MBP running 10.9 that's having zero issue connecting, along with one running 10.11 with no trouble. My iPhone with iOS 8 is not having any trouble. It seems to be just this one particular computer, which is unfortunate since it's also my most used computer.

The problem seemed to happen around the same time as the last round of updates(mid-2012 non retina), although I also did the same set on the other MBP running 10.9(late 11 13") and it didn't cause problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try to get this working again?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Spent some time on the phone with Apple(I remembered I still had a few days of Applecare on this computer) and got it sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.