Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Since IOS 12, I always have problems with notifications, ONLY for the Mail app.

It works fine for my iCloud account but not my others mail services. I always manage to make it work by playing with the settings but again, just update to 12.1.1 and problem is back.

What happens is I receive a mail, no notification, open the mail app, email is there. Note that it's a not a problem where the Mail app looks for email only when I open it. The email is there before the app checks for new message.

All my notifications settings for ALL accounts (working and non-working one) are exactly the same.

I don't know what to do anymore... FYI, notifications for all other apps works fine. Only problem is with 3rd party email services...

anyone has an idea ?

thanks

baltoyyz

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Since IOS 12, I always have problems with notifications, ONLY for the Mail app.

It works fine for my iCloud account but not my others mail services. I always manage to make it work by playing with the settings but again, just update to 12.1.1 and problem is back.

What happens is I receive a mail, no notification, open the mail app, email is there. Note that it's a not a problem where the Mail app looks for email only when I open it. The email is there before the app checks for new message.

All my notifications settings for ALL accounts (working and non-working one) are exactly the same.

I don't know what to do anymore... FYI, notifications for all other apps works fine. Only problem is with 3rd party email services...

anyone has an idea ?

thanks
I am having the same issue since upgrading to 12.1.1

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Also having issues with mail notifications. My phone is set to show banners for all accounts and my watch is set to mirror my phone. When a new email comes in and my phone is locked, my phone vibrates but nothing on my watch. If am using my phone when an email comes in, there is vibration but no banner notification. Not the desired behavior in either case.

I’m not an expert in software development. But I’m continually amazed at how often new bugs crop up in iOS releases that weren’t there during the beta period. Makes me wonder what Apple does to the code before a public release.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Fine on my iPads. NG on iPhone but only for corporate email managed by MDM Agent. Deleted profile, reinstalled and back to normal function and notifications.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
Try this:

Go to the settings icon

Mail > Notifications > Thread notifications > Alerts.

Hopefully, that will work for you.

Last edited:

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I changed settings like 100 times back and forth and now it's working. I don't know what did the trick...

paulg1981

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2014
Just fixed this issue on my Xs today. I had to go into Notifications > Mail > Favorite Mailbox and enable notifications. Eventhough I don't have any 'favorited' mailboxes this made the regular mail notifications start working as expected. Hope it helps!

Reactions: MacDevil7334

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I redid my iPhone and iPad and it fixed it!

Hope this is helpful.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Just fixed this issue on my Xs today. I had to go into Notifications > Mail > Favorite Mailbox and enable notifications. Eventhough I don't have any 'favorited' mailboxes this made the regular mail notifications start working as expected. Hope it helps!
Turning on notifications for my Favorite mailbox appears to have fixed it for me as well. Good catch!

Reactions: paulg1981

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
iOS 12.1.2 seems to have fixed this. I never could get a 'fix' to stick with 12.1.1. Deleting the corporate email worked for a short period, but notifications always broke again. Seems OK now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.