Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Is there any way to make it so that I receive notifications for some email accounts, but not others?

beatrixwillius

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
Germany
Which mail client do you use? In AppleMail you can set up rules that affect different accounts. And you can make yourself a notification.

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
It's the "Mail" app included with Catalina. Right now I'm getting notifications for all new incoming messages. But one of my accounts is for spam mail, and I don't want to be notified about it.

So how do I go about doing that?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
1. In Apple Mail app select Mailbox->New Smart Mailbox.
2. Name the smart mailbox something like Notifications.
3. Add each mailbox that you want to receive notifications with the Message is in mailbox rule.

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 1.14.07 PM.png

4. Open Mail->Preferences...->General.
5. Change New message notifications: form Inbox Only to Notifications (the Smart Mailbox created).

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.03.39 AM.png

This will stop receiving the e-mail notifications for your spam e-mail account but it won't stop showing the mail message badge count for your spam e-mail account.

Last edited:

beatrixwillius

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
Germany
Go to Preferences -> Rules and click on Add Rule. Give your rule a name.

You can only select accounts and not exclude them. You have to change the "If all/any of the following conditions are met" to All.

Select "Account" from the list and select an account. Now click on the plus button and add a criterion for each account that you have:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 10.51.49.png

In the actions select "Send Notification".

Reactions: LuisN

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Go to Preferences -> Rules and click on Add Rule. Give your rule a name.

You can only select accounts and not exclude them. You have to change the "If all/any of the following conditions are met" to All.

Select "Account" from the list and select an account. Now click on the plus button and add a criterion for each account that you have:

View attachment 921959

In the actions select "Send Notification".

I think the OP wants to stop receiving notifications for the spam e-mail account. They already get notifications for all the e-mails accounts.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That's why I said that all accounts except for the spam account need to be added to the rule.

The OP already received notifications for all e-mail accounts by the setting in System Preferences->Notifications->Mail. There is no selective way to disable receiving notifications for mail accounts, you either receive it for all or none at all. A mail rule will override the OS notification system.

Last edited:

timelessbeing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Which mail client do you use? In AppleMail you can set up rules that affect different accounts. And you can make yourself a notification.
It seems to me that if I create the rule in your screenshot, that the message would need to meet "ALL" the criteria in order to generate a notification. ie the message would have to belong to ALL the accounts. I don't see how that's even possible. Don't you mean "ANY"?

I think the same logic applies to Smart Mailboxes, Taz.
[automerge]1591742831[/automerge]
I updated my post #4 with a different approach.
I created the smart mailbox that collects messages from "ANY" of my non-spam accounts, and the notifications work just as I wanted. Thank you so much, Taz.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I created the smart mailbox that collects messages from "ANY" of my non-spam accounts, and the notifications work just as I wanted. Thank you so much, Taz.

Oops, I missed the “ANY” part. Glad you were able to get it to work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.