Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Hi all

Updated to ML earlier today, and sorting my G-mail import to Mail at the minute.

I use two step on G-Mail and Application Specific Passwords, now when I make a custom pass for use on my iMac and either paste or type it into the password prompt in Mail, I am met with the box reopening claiming it cannot connect with the password box empty.

I am utterly baffled so far I have had NO trouble with both my iPad 3 and iPhone4s using this method.

ANY help would be much appreciated as I am on a deadline and although i can access my mail on my mobile devices I really would prefer desktop access while I am at home.

Thanks

Last edited:

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Hi all

Updated to ML earlier today, and sorting my G-mail import to Mail at the minute.

I use two step on G-Mail and Application Specific Passwords, now when I make a custom pass for use on my iMac and either paste or type it into the password prompt in Mail, I am met with the box reopening claiming it cannot connect with the password box empty.

I am utterly baffled so far I have had NO trouble with both my iPad 3 and iPhone4s using this method.

ANY help would be much appreciated as I am on a deadline and although i can access my mail on my mobile devices I really would prefer desktop access while I am at home.

Thanks

Did you delete/re-add your Gmail account? That's the obvious first step.

I had no problem adding my Gmail account with app-specific password.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Did you delete/re-add your Gmail account? That's the obvious first step.

I had no problem adding my Gmail account with app-specific password.

Yes I did delete the account from ALL devices, the iPad and iPhone had no trouble it seems Mail in Mountain Lion is unhappy about something, I have re-deleted it and added it twice now.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Are you guys doing the "normal" set up with just typing in your @gmail address and letting it handle everything in the background, or are you trying to do it with manual settings (or using Exchange)?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Are you guys doing the "normal" set up with just typing in your @gmail address and letting it handle everything in the background, or are you trying to do it with manual settings (or using Exchange)?

Clicking the little + at the bottom and selected Gmail, enter details including the app specific code from Gmail (open in Safari) copy+paste or type over, box appears once mailboxes go online empty, reapplication of password just brings the empty password box up again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 23.38.50.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 23.38.50.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 153

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Tried just about everything, I must admit my patience is thin with Gmail over this, it's costing me time and surely given this problem has happened to others they should have some DAMN support for this! :mad:

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
I've been having the same issue since I've updated to Lion, thought Mountain Lion wouldn't have this issue but it does.

Quoting you in this so you can see a solution

Took me a while and nearly lost my temper at this I must admit.

Solution

Followed the instructions above and all is now well.

:rolleyes: :apple:

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
You have my sympathy I dumped Yahoo when they closed their UK chatrooms, at the time I moderated on Lycos chat so just went with a hotmail and then a G-mail address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.