Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
One of the senior I help reports that on her 2011 MB Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6, Mail keeps crashing.

She will open Mail, read two or three incoming emails, click on the next email to read and Mail will crash. This happens repeatedly.

Each time Mail quits, in the report to be sent to Apple this is prominent:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD _ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Type: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0X000000000018
Exception Type: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

I Googled this and the only thing useful I found was the suggestion that perhaps this might be connected with SIP; we checked and her is turned on.

I told her, tomorrow morning, when her mails comes in, to restart in Safe Mode, read her email, and see if the same thing happens or not. Will report back with her results.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest anything to try that might fix this???

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
In the meantime, can anyone suggest anything to try that might fix this???
Perhaps just corrupted start files and caches, which can be repaired via secure boot (hold down shift at reboot, log in, and then reboot again normally). Maybe a faulty Mac OS X and/or defective hard disk drive. But hope for the best!

Reactions: Speed38

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Perfect. I told her to do a secure boot tomorrow when she has multiple mails to read and report back on what happens. I will post her answer here...and thanks for responding.

Reactions: AlixSPQR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.