Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinkobak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Hello everyone!
I have a problem for several months now and I have tried everything but still can't find a fix or at least explanation of what is happening. So please, let me explain the problem first...

I'm running OS 10.12.6 on Mac Mini 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5 and this issue started a few versions back (don't know exactly on which version).

1) Mail started to give me messages like "Mail needs to rebuild mailboxes" or "Mail needs to quit and rebuild" or something about being unable to index messages. I have tried to fix it with every suggested solution that could be found on internet including clean install of the entire system but none of it worked. Except after reinstalling OS the problem reappeared after a couple of days, not immediately.
(just happened again while I was writing this, see attachment mail1.jpg)
mail1.jpg

2) Simultaneously, Safari is being set to factory settings whenever Mail has a problem. Furthermore, whatever was downloaded with Safari is deleted! I have tried to fix it just like the Mail but again, nothing worked. The worst part? I have installed Chrome, Firefox and then Opera and documents downloaded with these apps remain undeleted. But, after Safari goes to auto-factory-reset, none of mentioned browsers cannot be started!!! They crash immediately with message "...quit unexpectedly. Do you want to send report?".

3) Third and most weird issue: My entire iTunes Library is also being deleted randomly. Even if I copy music from USB stick to any old or new folder on my Mac, suddenly all of it is gone without a trace!?! No warning, no log trace, no files in trash.

Anti-virus software didn't help. Clean reinstall of OS didn't help. Manual reset to factory settings of Mail, Safari and iTunes didn't help (trashing preferences, agents etc.). Changing user's password didn't help. Couldn't find similar issues on internet forums.
so now, I would like to ask any of you out there for help on this issue - an idea, a suggestion or any other proposal that would lead me/us to the solution of this annoying problems. Solving one at the time would be welcomed too! If you need some more info on the machine, OS or anything else just let me know (I didn't even know what would be relevant to post here!).

Thank you in advance and best regards!
vinkobak

P.S. Right now, contents of my downloads folder were deleted without a trace. Didn't happened since yesterday. Mail and iTunes were closed, only Safari was active. Something is seriously wrong...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.