Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I've spent the past hour trying to figure out why some emails are yellow/gold colored font. They appeared to be bulk emails so I thought the mail app was marking them as spam, but I wasted 30 minutes trying to figure out where the "Not Spam" button went before realizing the button is missing because these emails are in fact not spam.

So why are they yellow?

Oh... if there's any Mac developers reading this... ALLOW US TO CHANGE THE DELAY TIME BEFORE MARKING EMAILS AS READ! Sometimes I wonder how the simplest things are left out.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I'm trying to find the same info....

I found this:

In the Training mode (which is the default mode), Mail applies its Junk rules to your messages. This causes Mail to color the message brown or gold (depending on your color perception), indicating that Mail thinks the message is junk. You use this mode to fine-tune the Junk Mail feature so it correctly filters your messages to identify the junk. .
http://etutorials.org/Mac+OS/using+...apter+12.+Using+Email/Customizing+Your+Email/

I have some gold that it has the junk icon next to it and the Not Junk button, and some that don't. Does fall under one of the preference exemptions, so maybe it's marked as gold because it looks like junk, but isn't labeled junk, since i've indicated I'd want it.

chmedly

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
I'm experienceing the same thing in Yosemite, but on an email that was received on an older computer running an older OS and was imported into this installation.

mike123456778890

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
I,m also experiencing the same issue. Brown marked messages which I don't understand why those are brown or what the brown even means.

My trash is showed straight to the spam folder or trash depending on how it is recognized as spam. But what are these brown massages in inbox?

If I check the message to trash and then back to no trash the brown disappears. But I don't want to do this to every message one by one. And it would be nice to understand what it means that message is marked brown.

Running El Capitan 10.11.6

Last edited:

commotron

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
Fuerstenfeldbruck, Germany
This issue is still seen in Apple Mail sierra version. The only thing we found on all machines that you can move those messages into the respective junk mail folder (if you don't have it, enable it in the settings) and there you can select the mail again and hit the move-to-inbox button in the header part of the mail.

golfmad

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
This issue is still seen in Apple Mail sierra version. The only thing we found on all machines that you can move those messages into the respective junk mail folder (if you don't have it, enable it in the settings) and there you can select the mail again and hit the move-to-inbox button in the header part of the mail.

Thank you. That was very useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.