Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian2000gsxr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
In my opinion one of the largest features missing from the iOS mail client is the ability to get a badge notification when an email is pushed to a folder other than the inbox. It blows my mind that it hasn't been made available. I can't even find a j/b tweak to enable it...(let me know if there is one please)
You can go into mail and then go into the folder list for the account itself and see if there is new mail but why not be able to see how many messages are waiting total at a glance to the home screen. I can tell you many people in the enterprise world would like this feature.

I have yet to see this mentioned as a feature in iOS 6.
Can someone please confirm if this is finally included?

Edit: Also the ability to view the inbox plus other folders at the same time would be nice, but I'm guessing that is not included....please confirm.

Thank you.

ian2000gsxr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
20 threads about why iOS 6 sucks and no one can answer my question?
Come on...is what I'm asking about changed in mail or not? :eek:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I wonder the same thing. I always create sub folders for my important email that I don't want to miss or accidentally delete in my inbox. But when I'm out and about, I don't get alerted to when a message comes into those sub folders. I wish I had an answer for you. Instead I'm just telling you I'm in the same boat.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I know this is possible in gmail using exchange but I just switched to using iCloud a month ago and was surprised to see this feature wasn't available. I've reworked my email habits because of this.. :(

ian2000gsxr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who is missing this feature.

I think it would be possible to pass the count from a folder on to the badge as you can see the count by going into the account's folder list manually...

Hopefully Apple will do this...someday...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm able to do this for Gmail. I go to settings, Mail/contacts/calendars, and then tap on my gmail account(top portion). Then at the bottom there's a folders to push option. It allow me to push any folder I choose and get notified.

Don't see this option when I tap on my .me or hotmail accounts. My Gmail is setup as exchange, so maybe that's why.

Not referring to 6 beta, but it's probably the same setup.

Edit: oops didn't see previous post from sharp.

ian2000gsxr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm able to do this for Gmail. I go to settings, Mail/contacts/calendars, and then tap on my gmail account(top portion). Then at the bottom there's a folders to push option. It allow me to push any folder I choose and get notified.

Don't see this option when I tap on my .me or hotmail accounts. My Gmail is setup as exchange, so maybe that's why.

Not referring to 6 beta, but it's probably the same setup.

We're not talking about push. We're referring to not getting an updated count on the mail badge that there is email in a sub-folder. My sub-folders push to me just fine it's just that I am not aware of it and have to manually go into the account to see a count.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Oh I misunderstood, interesting though. I never noticed that, mainly cause I don't use my Apple account for important stuff or as my main account.

So you have certain emails moved into sub folders automactic depending on senders address?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
We're not talking about push. We're referring to not getting an updated count on the mail badge that there is email in a sub-folder. My sub-folders push to me just fine it's just that I am not aware of it and have to manually go into the account to see a count.

Well actually I was referring to both. My sub folders do not push to my iPhone or iPad. I have to go into each folder manually to update anything that came in.

So you have certain emails moved into sub folders automactic depending on senders address?

That is basically how I have mine set up.

jeff11214

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Anyone have an update on this iPhone issue?

Getting an updated count on the mail badge when there is new/unread email in a sub-folder.

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
This missing feature/bug really annoys me too.

For the record, I'm using standard IMAP from my own server, and the need to manually check for mail in subfolders, rather then getting the badge alert, is a real pain.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At least with iOS 6 there's the concept of VIP where, no matter what folder an email would go to, you can set different senders (even those not in your contacts) to be part of a VIP list which has separate notification controls, aside from the rest of the email accounts (each one of which also now has separate notification controls). It doesn't exactly address the issue here, but it can probably be a workaround of sorts for it, for at least some.

beherenow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
It's 2015, iOS 8 / OSX Yosemite – and they've still not fixed this!

Instead of concentrating on opaque effects of the Interface I wish they'd just fix this. How hard can it actually be? It's a joke!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.