Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hi everyone,

I followed a guide to install Yosemite on a partition to install it to a USB memory stick, as not to lose anything in my main partition. Yosemite runs almost flawlessly despite being run on the memory stick.

But as I tried to boot into my main partition I realized that my main partition is labelled as Install OS X Yosemite (or installer, don't recall) probably since I still have the installer in my application folder. I can also see then a partition called 10.9 Recovery and my Yosemite thumb drive.

How can I boot to my main partition and not override it with Yosemite?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I haven't tried this myself yet so am not sure if it works, but apparently if you boot into recovery partition, you can in the start up disk, boot into mavericks again.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Boot into Yosemite and go to Preferences > Startup Disk. Pick Mavericks as your default HD. Reboot your Mac holding down option key. You should now be able to see all your different partitions and will be able to boot into Mavericks etc.

achair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I haven't tried this myself yet so am not sure if it works, but apparently if you boot into recovery partition, you can in the start up disk, boot into mavericks again.

Boot into Yosemite and go to Preferences > Startup Disk. Pick Mavericks as your default HD. Reboot your Mac holding down option key. You should now be able to see all your different partitions and will be able to boot into Mavericks etc.

Thank you both! It's fixed!

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Reboot Issue?

After all this, when I go to restart my machine from yosemite to Mavericks; it seems to take a long time; I've not had the patience to sit and wait to see if it is going to actually boot into Mavericks I just hard reset at that point, but has anyone else had this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.