Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I am trying to setup my new MainStage 3 with my Scarlett Solo on my iMac. I am currently running GarageBand successfully.

When I setup MainStage I select Scarlet Solo USB for INPUT and OUTPUT like I do for GarageBand, but I get nothing in or out.

I have messed with it for a while be cannot find a solution.

Anyone familiar or know a solution?

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Are you starting a new empty MainStage concert or using one of the templates? I use MainStage infrequently and have definitely had times where I was puzzled by the lack of sound output.
scarlett solo: are you connecting a microphone or Instrument?

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Are you starting a new empty MainStage concert or using one of the templates? I use MainStage infrequently and have definitely had times where I was puzzled by the lack of sound output.
scarlett solo: are you connecting a microphone or Instrument?
I have started empty and with templates. I connect as an instrument.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Since you said you are getting nothing In or Out, the first thing I would check is the channel strip input.

I don't use the focusrite solo, but looking at the picture of it online it looks like instrument go to input 2.

In a new quickstart guitar template in MainStage, if you change the first channel strip from Input 1 to Input 2, do you get any audio input from your instrument?

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 9.32.25 AM.png

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Since you said you are getting nothing In or Out, the first thing I would check is the channel strip input.

I don't use the focusrite solo, but looking at the picture of it online it looks like instrument go to input 2.

In a new quickstart guitar template in MainStage, if you change the first channel strip from Input 1 to Input 2, do you get any audio input from your instrument?

View attachment 2137104
I have switched the inputs from 1 to 2 and back but nothing. Under SETTINGS/AUDIO, do you have Focusrite solo for in and out? Thats how they are for my GB and it works perfectly FYI.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Yes that sounds like it should be correct. Out of curiosity, if you use the built-in input/output on your computer does the audio work correctly in MainStage?

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Yes that sounds like it should be correct. Out of curiosity, if you use the built-in input/output on your computer does the audio work correctly in MainStage?
Nope. Nothing, unfortunately.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Very strange that you would get nothing with the built-in devices as well. Is this a fresh install of MainStage?

With audio settings set to built-in input/output, if you do New > Quickstart > Keyboard and click on the keys of the software keyboard do you get anything?

If there is still no sound, I would next test in a separate clean user account.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 8.51.44 PM.png

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Very strange that you would get nothing with the built-in devices as well. Is this a fresh install of MainStage?

With audio settings set to built-in input/output, if you do New > Quickstart > Keyboard and click on the keys of the software keyboard do you get anything?

View attachment 2137315
I will try that when I get home. I also installed (clean) on my MacBook Pro and also no audio. MS is new to me and it had been freshly installed on both.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008

View attachment 2137315
YES! I do get sound when I setup the quickstart keyboard (from the mac speakers).

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
YES! I do get sound when I setup the quickstart keyboard (from the mac speakers).
That’s a good start. If you switch the output to your focusrite can you hear the QuickStart keyboard from headphones connected to the focusrite?

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
When I switch to Scarlett Solo USB (out and/or in) I CANNOT hear or see indications. I thought the cable or something might not be good BUT like I said, I also run GB on here through the audio interface and it works flawlessly.

See my screenshots of MS audio settings:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.00.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.00.25 AM.png
    467.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.00.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.00.47 AM.png
    465.6 KB · Views: 137

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
When I switch to Scarlett Solo USB (out and/or in) I CANNOT hear or see indications. I thought the cable or something might not be good BUT like I said, I also run GB on here through the audio interface and it works flawlessly.

See my screenshots of MS audio settings:
In Audio/MIDI setup, both the input and output channel volumes are set to zero which would explain why no sound is coming in or out. Can you drag the slider for the Primary stream up for either input or output?

Also the small circle with a 0 at the top of the Modern Stack channel strip in MainStage is likely the input gain for that channel. Try dragging that control up to see if that controls the input gain for your channel. (I would guess the instrument input on the Solo needs to be channel 2)

If no I would guess that this function needs to be managed by the software that comes with the Solo. As to why it works in GarageBand and not MainStage that remains a mystery

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
In Audio/MIDI setup, both the input and output channel volumes are set to zero which would explain why no sound is coming in or out. Can you drag the slider for the Primary stream up for either input or output?

Also the small circle with a 0 at the top of the Modern Stack channel strip in MainStage is likely the input gain for that channel. Try dragging that control up to see if that controls the input gain for your channel. (I would guess the instrument input on the Solo needs to be channel 2)

I thought of that but they don’t move.

If no I would guess that this function needs to be managed by the software that comes with the Solo. As to why it works in GarageBand and not MainStage that remains a mystery
Right. Very frustrating. It doesn’t make sense.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Do you use the Focusrite Control software? For my interface (not a focusrite, Apogee Duet) I have a separate control software where I can control routing, gain, input/output for the device itself. Would be interesting to know whether you are getting signal there.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Do you use the Focusrite Control software? For my interface (not a focusrite, Apogee Duet) I have a separate control software where I can control routing, gain, input/output for the device itself. Would be interesting to know whether you are getting signal there.
I have the Focusrite control software setup. GB works on these Macs.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Also, try MainStage in a new User Account.
How do you do that? I purchased it under my main Apple account which is required to hit use it and run it. I think if I tried a different account it’s going to require me to buy it again which I don’t want to do especially now.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
How do you do that? I purchased it under my main Apple account which is required to hit use it and run it. I think if I tried a different account it’s going to require me to buy it again which I don’t want to do especially now.
A new Mac User account…in System Settings (System Preferences prior to Ventura).

The point is to have a clean account to test the scenario and rule out some sort of corruption in your present account.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
1) I created a new user account. No joy.
2) I also did the same on my MacBook and used a different USB cable from Audio interface to computer. NO joy.

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. IF the Scarlett was bad (or the cable) then GB would not work.

I have looked online as much as possible and cannot find a workable solution.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I guess I'd be trying everything possible. Did you try on either Mac with the Focusrite Control software completely uninstalled?

Do you have any other audio-related software installed on both of those Macs?

Were these Macs updated from prior versions of macOS or are they "clean installs"? I'm thinking about problems caused by legacy software in the Library/Audio folders.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I guess I'd be trying everything possible. Did you try on either Mac with the Focusrite Control software completely uninstalled?

Do you have any other audio-related software installed on both of those Macs?

Were these Macs updated from prior versions of macOS or are they "clean installs"? I'm thinking about problems caused by legacy software in the Library/Audio folders.
Focusrite uninstalled? I can try.

Other software: Yes, GarageBand works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.