Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Hi all,

I just setup a new MacBook Pro (M1 Max) and downloaded my apps through the App Store (Logic, Mainstage). Next, I tried to get my sound library and installed the sounds through the Library manager. However, I get an error that MainStage was not able to complete the download. The error occured AFTER entering my credentials (no typo, I know my passwords :)).

Here is a screen recording of the video:

I tried it with different instruments, the error stays the same. It seems like an permissions error, maybe. I also relocated the library to an external drive but with no effect.

Do you have any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks,
Sven

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I haven't personally had this issue downloading MainStage & Logic content, but then again I haven't re-downloaded the sound library in at least a year, so maybe it's an issue with the latest release.

A few things first:
  • If you have Logic, try downloading/installing the sounds with Logic rather than MainStage - they're cross-compatible
  • Is the user account a "Standard" or "Administrator?" You mentioned possible permission issues, so that's why I'm asking
  • Is the Mac plugged into Ethernet? This shouldn't really matter, but it'll make the download go much faster if it is

Try this:
  1. Restart the computer
  2. Connect the drive containing the sounds, and DELETE them (move "Library" folder to trash)
  3. Go to MainStage, select "Reinstall Sound Library."
    1. If this doesn't work, select "Download Essential Sounds" and then once that's done select "Download All Sounds"
  4. Once that finishes, you'll be prompted for credentials - type in the password and hit Install. Hopefully you won't get the error
Hope this helps.

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Hi,

thanks for all the tipps. I followed them all and repeated them several times, it just stays the same. There is something going wrong on my system. As it is only one week old since installation, I want to avoid making a fresh installation. I also repaired the disk permissions with no effect. My user is administrator, so sudo-ing always works. Is there a command line option to install the library?

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Ok, here is the solution (it helped with another issue as well): I upgraded to the latest developer beta and voila, here we go. I have no idea what was the issue but it worked!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You didn't say if you were running a beta macOS when you had the original issue. This is pertinent info when describing a problem.

Also meaningful would be the beta version number that seemed to fix the issue.

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I was on macOS 12.3.1 (official release) before where the issue was present. Because of that and more severe issues (external monitor not waking up from sleep), I tried the current Developer beta 12.4 beta3. That fixed the issue. If the issue would have been gone from beta1 ongoing, I cannot answer. So, at least for beta3 something got fixed.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I was on macOS 12.3.1 (official release) before where the issue was present. Because of that and more severe issues (external monitor not waking up from sleep), I tried the current Developer beta 12.4 beta3. That fixed the issue. If the issue would have been gone from beta1 ongoing, I cannot answer. So, at least for beta3 something got fixed.
Thanks for clarifying. Good for future searchers.

mihaila

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
I have this exact same issue with Logic, on macos 12.4 official release on M1 pro. Is there any fix for this?
Garageband seems to download additional content without problems.

haydentech

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2022
Wish I had a workaround, but I'm just here to add "me too". On fully updated Monterrey 12.4, can't download essential sounds for MainStage or Logic. The download immediately fails.

mihaila

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
Wish I had a workaround, but I'm just here to add "me too". On fully updated Monterrey 12.4, can't download essential sounds for MainStage or Logic. The download immediately fails.
I've updated Logic to 10.7.4 and now it works for me

haydentech

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2022
Unfortunately, I am not able to upgrade Logic further due to not having a Metal-compatible graphics card, so that's not a solution for me.

ShahzaibQasim

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2022
Hi Guys! After spending a night looking online for the solution. I believe I have been able to resolve the problem with Logic Pro.
I installed Garageband and its needed library.
Then installed Logic Pro 10.7.4.
Downloaded Essential Soundpack and it worked!

Hope it helps!

Edit: This is due to the latest Monterey update 12.5 update probably. As logic was working fine till 12.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.