Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greatmrname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2019
AirPods Pro are faulty when handling their microphones. Not only does it effect call quality, but also dictation, Siri, and voice memos. Siri and dictation never gets what I’m saying correctly 90% of the time. When I go into voice memos, it will always sound very muffled at the beginning and then seems to fix itself a few seconds later.

Changing settings doesn’t help. I’ve gone through every setting in the AirPods Bluetooth and audio accessibility sections and not one seems to fix it or be the cause of this problem, including switching the AirPod microphone and call noise cancellation. Resetting and cleaning them doesn’t do anything either. The problem still exists while using other devices like an older iPad and a Mac.

I don’t think replacing them will help either. I’ve read others have this problem and, there is absolutely no fix at all? This is outrageous especially after dealing with this for months and as apple released firmware updates. Every time I need to use these services, I need to take my AirPods out and use my phone microphone which works completely fine. There isn’t even an option to disable the AirPod’s microphone or re-route it to your phone’s. I’ve also had the original Airpods and never had any problems like this.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I haven't seen this at all. I recorded podcasts using AirPods Pro and it sounded fine.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I found that both dictation and Siri works exceptionally well for me with APP, much better than when using regular AirPods.

She basically hears 100% correctly if I set her to English, and 90% in my native language.

Using my iPhone or Mac without AirPods get accuracy it down to 50% to maybe 70% of my words.

Obviously, there's not always a logical response or action for her to perform, and it's annoying that there's no contextual awareness. But I can see that Siri did recognise all the words correctly.

I'm very certain that the hardware in yours is faulty, either out-of-the-box or through wear. So I'd definitely suggest you take them to Apple for inspection.

*The audio resolution of calls is definitely on the low end and sounds like talking through an old phone. But that's how all AirPods Pro sound and something I knew before buying. The audio resolution on regular AirPods is quite a bit better, but neither live up to what I'd expect from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.