Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Putting my downloaded music on my Pixel 2 went okay by uploading it to Google Play. However if I ask the assistant to play a song it wants me to buy Google Play Music and won't prioritize my thousands of songs that I've ripped. I'd like to see an Apple Ad making fun of this. This is one case where Siri is smarter.

"Play The Beatles"

"Sure, check out this The Beatles playlist on Google Play Music"

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/kFCECV935SU

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7tnuva/using_google_assistant_with_google_play_music/

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Did you just say "Play the Beatles" or is that a shortened version of what you actually said?

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Did you just say "Play the Beatles" or is that a shortened version of what you actually said?

No matter what you say it won't play your downloaded music (what was in my iTunes). Those links I posted go into great detail about the issue.

Play my music The Beatles

Okay, check out this The Beatles radio mix on Google Play Music.

I doubt it's an innocent glitch as many people are angry about it. They seem to want you to buy their service. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't allow you to upload your music to Google Play in the future. There is no music app like on the iPhone. This was about the only thing I used Siri for on my iPhone.
Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the phone though.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I was going to test it myself but realized my music has a name like this:

Screenshot_20180517-212606.png

Hell if I know how that's pronounced. I could name a song maybe, but that's about it.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
This isn’t really a question of whether Google Assistant is smart enough. Google have made the decision that to get full voice control of your music you need a Google Play Music subscription. This is a strategic choice (which I agree is silly and don’t understand) not an issue of smartness of the assistant.

However, one thing you should be able to do is use voice to launch playlists you have created.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The same thing happens with Siri for me, only it's when I say "find me music by_____"....it opens up iTunes Store instead of Apple Music. It's hugely frustrating as I have no need for iTunes when I have an Apple Music account!

Weird thing is my iPad works fine (most of the time), but the iPhone almost always loads iTunes Store...

You're not alone...

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yep if you want to play a specific song you need it on a playlist and the first song on that playlist from what I found. Incredibly dumb IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.