Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Why are some new games on Steam still Intel apps instead of native Apple silicon apps?

The main reason is because they can. Thanks to Rosetta devs don't have to make two ports for Intel and AS. So devs like Paradox don't bother and perhaps never will. At the same time Steam doesn't always tell the truth. It can state that a game is not a native AS port while it is. Best to check Steamdb.info. If it only says macos64 in App info/osextended it is a x86 app. If it also says macosapplesilicon it has a native port too. If it only says macosapplesilicon like Stray it doesn't have x86 port.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Machinika Museum for Mac is free on Steam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
VMware Fusion Pro is now free for personal use. It supports OpenGL 4.2 on Apple Silicon Macs so I'll try some OpenGL games like Wolfenstein series to see if/how it runs. Crossover can't run newer OpenGL than 2.1.

Skärmavbild 2024-05-15 kl. 18.04.35.png

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
We didn't get Mirage but we're getting Assassin's Creed Shadows on MAS on Nov 15. It requires Sonoma. :)

Skärmavbild 2024-05-16 kl. 02.05.16.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
We didn't get Mirage but we're getting Assassin's Creed Shadows on MAS on Nov 15. It requires Sonoma. :)

View attachment 2378680

No gameplay shown for a game launching in 6/7 months?
I wonder why it needs 14.4.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
No gameplay shown for a game launching in 6/7 months?
I wonder why it needs 14.4.

Maybe we’ll see some at WWDC. Regarding 14.4 maybe that’s simply the latest version they had when they tested the game and haven’t tested it on older versions? I don’t know, it sounds strange.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Maybe we’ll see some at WWDC. Regarding 14.4 maybe that’s simply the latest version they had when they tested the game and haven’t tested it on older versions? I don’t know, it sounds strange.
They haven't invested in Macs until recently, for iOS and, reluctantly, macOS game development.

I'm trying to remember if they put Rayman on Mac back in the 1990s when I had it on Atari Jaguar.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
They haven't invested in Macs until recently, for iOS and, reluctantly, macOS game development.

I'm trying to remember if they put Rayman on Mac back in the 1990s when I had it on Atari Jaguar.
Nah, Ubisoft has made iOS games for a while. It looks like the last macOS game was from 2016 though. Either way still not sure why they are requiring such a new version of macOS.

AC has been something of a twitch game when you are forced to engage in fights, I hope that they work on making sure the framerate stays high (AC Odyssey is the last one I played and 30fps felt like moving through molasses).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Nah, Ubisoft has made iOS games for a while. It looks like the last macOS game was from 2016 though. Either way still not sure why they are requiring such a new version of macOS.

AC has been something of a twitch game when you are forced to engage in fights, I hope that they work on making sure the framerate stays high (AC Odyssey is the last one I played and 30fps felt like moving through molasses).
I have a number of their games, but I can't find any interest in playing past the first 20 minutes.

I'm glad they are expanding, but they're a lot like the modern EA.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I have a number of their games, but I can't find any interest in playing past the first 20 minutes.

I'm glad they are expanding, but they're a lot like the modern EA.
All of their modern AAA titles feel like reskins of the same base game.

Grayzone Warfare is a good example of what Ghost Recon Breakpoint should have been

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
All of their modern AAA titles feel like reskins of the same base game.

Grayzone Warfare is a good example of what Ghost Recon Breakpoint should have been
They create new artwork for each location but the game doesn't change, which is probably why I'm bored with all of them.

Most games just don't have much meaning for me. That's probably why I play so many old, old titles. I've been playing a lot of Netmarble games lately, and Solo Leveling: Arise is good. Most of the games getting my attention are coming from Asia now.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Yeah they walked it back. The interesting part is the game was supposed to have that requirement from the beginning and it isn't clear why it was shipped with it disabled. Too late to put the genie back in the bottle though.

Just a side note, it was empty promises.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Just a side note, it was empty promises.

And twitter is too upset with Ubisoft to talk about this. lol

EDIT: I found a video that talked about why (cause the games won't run on the Steam Deck either). Basically some folks wanted PSN trophys and the ability to talk to PSN folk. So Sony has added the PSN overlay, and at the same time stopped selling the game in regions where PSN isn't available. I guess the fix should be to sell a version of the game in those regions without PSN overlay support.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Endless Legend for Mac is free on Steam.

Gift is released for Apple Silicon.

Reactions: Irishman

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
A brief mention on the Mac App Store seems to indicate Assassin's Creed Shadows will have raytracing as an option.

https://apps.apple.com/au/story/id1745567354 under 'Cutting edge technology', halfway down the page.
Supposedly, the game works on my M1 MacBook Air. It's rare to see something not work on my MacBook Air, though, according to the Mac App Store.

It's good to see that technologies such as ray tracing have finally made it. I used to see a load of technologies when I was first programming 8-bit desktop computers and large machines. We could only hope for the day when they worked.

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
Yeah. Even just during the 90s alone, computing power increased dramatically, and fell in price.

For example, the Macintosh Quadra 900 came with a Motorola 68040 CPU running at 25 MHz, with 4 MB RAM and 1 MB VRAM. That was $7,200 in 1991, or about $16,000 today.

At the end of 1999, you could get a PowerMac G4, with a PowerPC G4 CPU running at 350-400 MHz, 64 MB RAM, an ATI Rage 128 GPU with 16 MB VRAM, at $1999, or about $2900 today.

That's quite a bit of difference in under a decade, although I should note that neither of those models were sold for very long, and that those are the base specs.

Reactions: bousozoku

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
A brief mention on the Mac App Store seems to indicate Assassin's Creed Shadows will have raytracing as an option.

https://apps.apple.com/au/story/id1745567354 under 'Cutting edge technology', halfway down the page.
Interestingly the PC store fronts (and the Ubisoft site itself) don't mention this at all. IIRC this would be the first AC game with RT. Maybe this isn't the same engine as Mirage.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Interestingly the PC store fronts (and the Ubisoft site itself) don't mention this at all. IIRC this would be the first AC game with RT. Maybe this isn't the same engine as Mirage.

AC Shadows will be the second game to use HW ray tracing on Macs after War Thunder

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Capes, a turn based superhero strategy game, is coming to Mac on May 29.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
I have a question regarding memory on Apple silicon Macs. On Windows PCs with dedicated GPUs, the OS has access to the RAM installed in the PC and the dedicated GPU has its own dedicated memory. But with Apple silicon Macs, since the memory is unified, shouldn't you buy more than what you think you need because the memory is shared between the OS *and* GPU? If a game requires a lot of VRAM for GPU tasks, wouldn't that "starve" the OS's or the rest of the game's access to available memory?

When a Windows PC game states it requires 16 GB of RAM, that doesn't include the GPU's memory as it has its own dedicated memory. So how should we "convert" Windows PC game memory requirements to Apple silicon Macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.