Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonym26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
USA
So yesterday my iMessage starting crashing just trying to open the program. Also, my wife, mother in law, and 2 brother in laws all had the same issue. Thats 5 people in three different households that all lost iMessages. So... we signed out of our accounts and resigned in our cloud settings and not working. I was on the phone for 3 hours with Apple tech support and we needed up having to restore all our devices and go back to old backups to restore. We deleted all the iMessage threads. We got everything working for a day and then my wife's stopped working again. We get the message "Messages in iCloud not available as iCloud and iMessages accounts do not match". But they do... everywhere is just her 1 iCloud account. Now.. my iMessages is still working but if I go into settings and add share name and photo.. it crashes and gives me that same message. We all have iPhone 12s and running 14.4. So crazy.. Apple is calling me back Thursday with some new suggestions but I thought I would ask the board here if anyone has had this issue. Weird that its happening to my whole family! And yes, I have tried to restart, hard reset, sign in and out of iCloud accounts and fully restored each device. Its on all iPhones, iPads and our computers!

Help me Obi Wan!

Last edited:

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
You're brave posting your phone number & email, maybe edit post & remove them, just leave error message! ;)
Is your iCloud email sign in the same as those you have listed & are you signed in to other devices i.e. laptop with the same iCloud email?

Last edited:

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Agree with above.... But also I have lost all messages, phone calls made and received and voice mail several times in the past when I have updated the IOS. Then randomly over night. I got tired of of it happening. So i cleared out everything, did a soft reset on all devices and did a back up OTA. Has not happened since 14.1

tonym26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
USA
You're brave posting your phone number & email, maybe edit post & remove them, just leave error message! ;)
Is your iCloud email sign in the same as those you have listed & are you signed in to other devices i.e. laptop with the same iCloud email?
Yup.. all of them are the same sign in. Whats weird is it hit 5 members of my family at the same time. I thought maybe something in a thread? But we have cleared all threads when we were up and then my wife's went down again.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
If you’re using the same sign in on ALL/Everyone’s devices, no wonder you’re having issues. You can expect all kinds of unexpected behavior when you do that. Apple must not have been made aware of that when you asked for their support.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
I'm assuming as per last post, it's not identical sign ins on all devices, but each with their own phone number/email on each device?
I'm thinking if you're anything like me & are the family guru where you change a setting on yours, you're likely to do the same on all, so family may not be a coincidence, do you manage/advise them what to do on their devices for them also?

tonym26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
USA
Sorry.. let me be clear.l we each have our own sign ins I mean my sign in for all my devices and each of the family member have their apple sign in for their devices.. my wife, daughter and I are on the family plan but the rest are not part of my family on apple. What’s even weirder is my daughter never had the issue.

tonym26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
USA
I'm assuming as per last post, it's not identical sign ins on all devices, but each with their own phone number/email on each device?
I'm thinking if you're anything like me & are the family guru where you change a setting on yours, you're likely to do the same on all, so family may not be a coincidence, do you manage/advise them what to do on their devices for them also?
I do help out on my mother in laws but have never touched my brother in laws. The only thing that ties it all together is we chat with each other. But it didn’t affect my daughters me she chats with us as well.. craziest thing..

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
Yeah, strange one, only other thing I can think of is to check that your FaceTime logins are the same sequence and order as iMessage logins and when you log out of iMessage, make sure you do the same for FaceTime before logging back in.

TBH if it has the best minds of apple on it, not much good with me offering advice, hope you get it sorted & be sure to post an update! ? ?

Reactions: tonym26

tonym26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
USA
So an update. My wife's devices haves crashed again and suddenly mine crashed this morning on all my devices. Whats new is that now, I can't sign out of my iCloud account. It is greyed out! I am restoring my devices again. I have a call scheduled on Thursday with an Apple engineer so I will share if they can solve this.

Reactions: McScooby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.