Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
A MAJOR Single-Sign On update has gone live on iOS 11 GM, it looks like. Basically every single major cable and streaming tv provider available now, including AT&T UVerse, Verizon FiOS, Comcast XFINITY, Cox, Spectrum, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, YouTube tv and Google Fiber. Also, a LOT of small providers. Looks like Apple’s delivered on this feature - albeit late.

Better late than never, though!

bc0e8b69e8ef71de42129d4eb4cbe1b8.jpg

cc9a377ade8e07340bed738b4e664271.jpg

4a70a330bdeb1f3860ff8c41121199b3.jpg

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
This has been available in the last few betas. However, some services still do not support single sign on, and you still have to authenticate in the various apps. Keep in mind that this is a restriction on the provider side, not a deficiency by Apple. I wish everyone would just play together nice.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Try clicking Cox\XFinitiy Comcast\Time Warner or almost any of them. They're all listed but when you click them it says not supported, login to each app on their own. It had me all excited when I saw, then highly disappointed. Don't know why apple lists those which aren't supported. Lame

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Last time I had to sign into an app after I had selected Directv Now as a provider it automatically went to the log in page for it. If that was do to me having selected it in SSO or a cookie from a different channel from the same network I don't know.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I have a small regional provider and they’ve at least made the individual app sign-in process fairly smooth (comparatively speaking) but it’s nowhere near seamless and convenient. When I download an app for a channel that’s part of my cable package, I have to find the “sign in” section which of course varies by app. The app then typically pops up a window that presents my cable company’s login page (*note: I’m on iOS 11 and NONE of the apps I’ve used so far allow me to pre-populate the login/password fields with my cable credentials even though they are stored in keychain).

I would love to be able to open the TV app and browse, search, and watch any/all channels I’m currently subscribed to via my cable package without having to download 30 apps, sign in, etc etc.

Reactions: boston04and07

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I would love to be able to open the TV app and browse, search, and watch any/all channels I’m currently subscribed to via my cable package without having to download 30 apps, sign in, etc etc.

Seriously, this is the goal. I would probably end up watching a lot more of their content on my iPad if it were just easier and nicer to do so. As it is now I’m not gonna go digging through a million separate stations’ apps to find something to watch (and never have, even before the tv app came to be). Hopefully it won’t take providers a million years to figure this out.

Reactions: onepoint
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.