Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
There is a major bug in the 16.4 Home Architecture update , you will only receive Offline Notifications if your Hubs are still online.

Should you have a power outage where all your devices including your hubs going offline , the Home app will fail to send a camera offline notification.

I have always received camera offline notifications when there's a power outage and all my devices including the hubs went offline prior to the 16.4 update.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Just tried this myself. I got a "The home hub is not responding" notification after unplugging my HomePod mini.

Seems to be the same thing, no? If my home hub is not responding, I think it's safe to assume my cameras aren't working either.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Just tried this myself. I got a "The home hub is not responding" notification after unplugging my HomePod mini.

Seems to be the same thing, no? If my home hub is not responding, I think it's safe to assume my cameras aren't working either.

Power off all your hubs , HomePods and Apple TV , every smart device you have
Easiest. Pull the power breaker switch which will shut down all the power in your home , restore the power after say 5 minutes.

Report back.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Power off all your hubs , HomePods and Apple TV , every smart device you have
Easiest. Pull the power breaker switch which will shut down all the power in your home , restore the power after say 5 minutes.

Report back.
The HomePod mini is my only hub. I got the "The home hub is not responding" notification a couple minutes after unplugging it.

I unplugged my camera at the same time too. I'm not familiar how it worked with power losses before, but I guess I wouldn't have expected a notification for that too when my hub is offline. If the hub is offline, the cameras aren't going to be working or recording to HKSV anyway, even if they were still online.

After I plugged them both back in, I get an "A home hub is now responding" notification.

It is a little misleading looking back at the recording though. It just shows a gap in the recording (as in no motion detected) rather than saying it was offline during that timeframe. Again, not sure what this looked like before with a power loss since it rarely happens here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahmede
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.