Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Here is the story.

I like to download some YouTube videos of my PC such as my favourite YouTube files. Then I came across RealPlayer which downloads and plays YouTube files (flash files). So I was like cool.. so I thought it would be cool if they had something like this for the Mac. So I went onto my MacBook and found RealPlayer 11 for OS X. And I downloaded it. And was able to watch flv files.. so then I shutdown my Mac for the night and when I tried to go back on it.. the startup took forever, then my background wouldn't load, it was just a blank blue screen, after about 3 mins only the WI-FI, Battery, and Time Icon showed up..the rest of the menu bar as not there!! I was able to view my doc and open a file, but then I wasn't able to close it. Now when I turn on my Mac all it does is that start up sound and stays on that white screen. WTF happened?

It's 2:15am here.. so I am going to bed.. but I will read your replies in the morning.

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
i quit using realplayer back when version 7 was released. it came w/ so much crap like download manager, news update icon that would sit on the taskbar and would annoy the hell out of me, an automatic software update, and a lot more junk that i can't remember. once installed it set itself as the default everything and took over the whole computer. if realplayer is anything like it was back then, then i would assume that it has i invaded your computer and isn't playing well w/ osx.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
i quit using realplayer back when version 7 was released. it came w/ so much crap like download manager, news update icon that would sit on the taskbar and would annoy the hell out of me, an automatic software update, and a lot more junk that i can't remember. once installed it set itself as the default everything and took over the whole computer. if realplayer is anything like it was back then, then i would assume that it has i invaded your computer and isn't playing well w/ osx.

Ditto. Start up in safe mode (hold down shift key) or from your system install DVD (hold down c key) and uninstall / toss anything having to do with RealPlayer. Worthless piece of sh^t that it is.

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I took it into the repair shop, it's still under Apple's year warrenty..

Thanks everyone

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I got my Macbook back today. The hard drive was toast, so they had to replace that. So I have to start over for day one, not a big deal. I am glad the hard drive failed when it did (it was still under my first year warranty).

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.