Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
While true, what does that have to do with the thread title?

"The fact is that the majority of Mac customers have an iPad, and they use them both"

So for the majority of people there is no need to run Mac OS on the iPad locally, as the majority use their Mac's for that.

It's a vocal minority who won't buy an iPad because it doesn't run Mac OS locally in the end.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
"The fact is that the majority of Mac customers have an iPad, and they use them both"

So for the majority of people there is no need to run Mac OS on the iPad locally, as the majority use their Mac's for that.

It's a vocal minority who won't buy an iPad because it doesn't run Mac OS locally in the end.
This is what I’ve been saying all along. It’s an extremely vocal minority (and a very, very small minority at that) who wants to obliterate the iPad to satisfy a millionth of a percent of users.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Most Mac customers also own an iPad? Where is that information coming from? I don't recall him ever asking me and I didn't participate in a poll I wonder how many other people he interviewed.. or rather didn't interview. Does he have access to everyone's iCloud accounts? If you think about this it appears that he is making an assumption. Agenda perhaps? Or am I missing something? If he is making a baseless assumption can we really trust the entirety of the article?

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Yeah. Nah. Jason Snell has been pretty spot on in his commentary this week, like on Macbreak Weekly, where he says that Apple is just not putting enough effort behind the iPad, and basic computing tasks are just blatantly absent for no logical reason. See Federico’s article. There really is no excuse for releasing $999+ tablet with a $300+ MacBook keyboard and not give it the same functionality in its software as a Mac. I love the iPad and it has the potential to really be a MacBook replacement if Apple would just dedicate some resources to make it just that.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah. Nah. Jason Snell has been pretty spot on in his commentary this week, like on Macbreak Weekly, where he says that Apple is just not putting enough effort behind the iPad, and basic computing tasks are just blatantly absent for no logical reason. See Federico’s article. There really is no excuse for releasing $999+ tablet with a $300+ MacBook keyboard and not give it the same functionality in its software as a Mac. I love the iPad and it has the potential to really be a MacBook replacement if Apple would just dedicate some resources to make it just that.

Its also (probably) true that people buy iPads, not because they want both an iPad and Mac, but because that's all there is, if you want tablet-featured device.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

The majority of Mac customers is not the majority of people, or necessarily the majority of iPad users. It can be true at the same time that the majority of Mac owners also own an iPad, but that the majority of iPad owners (which substantially exceeds the number of Mac owners, at least based on unit sales) may have a need for macOS.

I'm not an advocate for macOS on iPad, but I couldn't make head nor tails of what argument you were trying to make here with this thread.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Apple said themselves that the majority of Mac owners typically own an iPad too, and they use both devices.

iPadOS is pretty great, for my purposes. macOS, which I tried to use for 3yr, is my least favorite OS. If they were to put macOS on the iPad, I’d stop using it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That’s a pretty sweet write up on all the things iPad is lacking in that article, thanks for sharing. Apples lack of polish on the product after all these years is frustrating.

Reactions: Pezimak

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
99% of my iPad Pro use is laying down. From Bankig, shopping, doing taxes, content creation, watching movies. 11” M4 Pro. Touch interface is superior and using a Mouse and keyboard feels like a step backwards.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
My suggestion is to try for 24 hours by using jump desktop to connect to a mac or pc either with attached kbd or just as touch and see how you like it, does it work and do you want to use it, or is a pure touch input preferable in which case it might be disappointing as mac apps don’t have a touch interface and gestures wont work so you are stuck again with modifier keys for contextual items, ensuring you touch st the exact point and so on. I have found it very limiting unless you are dev techie and can use terminal commands to access mac or pc and do dev work in non GUI, and this does work well for basic maintenance say on another machine.

Agreed there are issues with iPadOs and we know what most of them are (parity with DT apps, file management and plenty more). I just don’t see running a macos is helpful, what version should it be and how to do backups, security fixes, exports .. and when you unplug and switch back to ipad, can you still open and process your mac files, where exactly are all the data files? It doesn’t make sense to me unless Apple can provide a hybrid Os which kicks in automatically and you can access all your data and apps and provide a total experience for export and import, with both a touch interface And a keyboard one.

Naturally my opinion only so I prefer to have both DT and Tablet.

Reactions: max2 and blkjedi954

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Lol the majority have a Mac AND iPad purely because Apple deliberately crippled iPads through its OS. Otherwise that would NOT be the case.
Also not many really want Mac OS on an iPad, we want a better more pro version of iPad OS, a full proper file management system would be nice for one.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
It could equally be argued that the reason most Mac users also own an iPad is because the iPad is not a legitimate Mac replacement and so they therefore also need the Mac. Not really sure this is proof of anything other than that Apple deliberately gimps the iPad to ensure that the owners it refers to continue to buy both ad infinitum. The iPad is intentionally held back from its true potential because Apple wishes it so, not because of the actions and buying habits of their customers. Makes sense from a business perspective but let's not pretend it's anything other than cynical profiteering.

Reactions: Pezimak

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Also not many really want Mac OS on an iPad, we want a better more pro version of iPad OS, a full proper file management system would be nice for one.

I'd settle for dual boot wherein the attachment of Magic Keyboard prompts a dialogue to boot into macOS if configured so. But, and this is the crucial point that Apple is wilfully ignoring, if this were the case then I would no longer need the Mac. Again this makes business sense but in attempting to deceive their audience Apple is once again showing that it's acting in bad faith 24/7 and that profit comes before both the product and the user. Bad JuJu in my estimation.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
maybe not but people would like the choice to activate a macOS or desktop mode at least.
This is where I'm at with iPad. There's some things I find much quicker and easier to do on macOS. I don't want full-blown macOS on my iPad, but it would be good to be able to a version of it when I need to, just to do the odd task or application.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is where I'm at with iPad. There's some things I find much quicker and easier to do on macOS. I don't want full-blown macOS on my iPad, but it would be good to be able to a version of it when I need to, just to do the odd task or application.
for me I just want better app window support like Samsung dex. file system like macOS is enough for me.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014

I own both because I HAVE to own both. If the new Pro ran MacOS, I'd either give my MBA to my wife or sell it.
I used to carry a cell phone AND an iPod, then Apple released the iPhone and I began leaving my iPod at home.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Most Mac customers also own an iPad? Where is that information coming from? I don't recall him ever asking me and I didn't participate in a poll I wonder how many other people he interviewed.. or rather didn't interview. Does he have access to everyone's iCloud accounts? If you think about this it appears that he is making an assumption. Agenda perhaps? Or am I missing something? If he is making a baseless assumption can we really trust the entirety of the article?

• There's such a thing as statistical significance in polling. Only a subset of a group is needed for a good idea of a statistic within the larger group.

• Do you recall reading the short overview about your device information when using an Apple ID? https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/data/en/apple-id/

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
My suggestion is to try for 24 hours by using jump desktop to connect to a mac or pc either with attached kbd or just as touch and see how you like it, does it work and do you want to use it, or is a pure touch input preferable in which case it might be disappointing as mac apps don’t have a touch interface and gestures wont work so you are stuck again with modifier keys for contextual items, ensuring you touch st the exact point and so on. I have found it very limiting unless you are dev techie and can use terminal commands to access mac or pc and do dev work in non GUI, and this does work well for basic maintenance say on another machine.

Agreed there are issues with iPadOs and we know what most of them are (parity with DT apps, file management and plenty more). I just don’t see running a macos is helpful, what version should it be and how to do backups, security fixes, exports .. and when you unplug and switch back to ipad, can you still open and process your mac files, where exactly are all the data files? It doesn’t make sense to me unless Apple can provide a hybrid Os which kicks in automatically and you can access all your data and apps and provide a total experience for export and import, with both a touch interface And a keyboard one.

Naturally my opinion only so I prefer to have both DT and Tablet.
In total agreement. Well said.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.