Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnlewis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Newton, Kansas
I have a 17 inch MacBook Pro, A1297, that was running Monterey using OCLP. I installed an OCLP software update, and scrambled the EFI partition map.

I am trying to make a bootable USB with Fedora and Testdisk (per the Testdisk website). However, I am not certain which version of Fedora to use, of how I should format the USB.

The Testdisk software has been downloaded onto my cMP 5,1 and can be used from Terminal. The instructions are to load a Fedora image unto the USB, along with Testdisk, using Terminal to do the work.

So, I hope to make the USB using the CMP, then use the cMP to boot the MBP and restore the EFI partition map.

Thanks for any help.

wnlewis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Newton, Kansas
I have made a bootable Fedora 39 USB. However, I still have not figured out how to load it permanently on the USB.

The other thing that I need is to be able to find and select the EFI partition and repair it.

Do I use commands for Fedora, since that is what I boot in from the USB, or macOS commands in the Terminal?

And once I find the EFI partition (which I have a few times, it is displayed but not selectable (I think)) how do I select it and repair it?

Thanks.

P.S. The only other options that I can think of are: Using DiskDrill, which I've never used, or pulling the SSD, putting it in an IcyDock, putting it into the Mac Pro, and doing the repair work from the Mac Pro. I've never taken a 17" MacBook Pro apart before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.