Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobbes1st

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I have a NAS (dlink DNS-323) set up on my network. Is there a way to have it automatically mount when I start up my mac as opposed to having to manually mount it each time?

TIA

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a Buffalo NAS. It is always on, but in a standby mode so it turns off basically when inactive for quite some time. Upon starting up it will eventually connect. I am unsure why yours does not. Does it have any software you had to install first? Can you not go to finder/connect and then do that?

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
i think you can drag the mounted disk from the desktop into your login items (system prefs/accounts/login items.)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Dragging an already mounted volume to login items works fine for single users who just logged on, but using the *nix automounting available through fstab makes the drive accessible on start up, prior to anyone logging in.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Just curious, not so familiar with NASes, but does it share via samba? If so shouldn't bonjour pick it up automatically?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just curious, not so familiar with NASes, but does it share via samba? If so shouldn't bonjour pick it up automatically?

Think about how bad that would work in a large office. If every share available on my network mounted automatically I'd have (no kidding) about 285 disks mounted on my desktop right now. We have 5,000+ computers on this network as I type.

The automouter is the best way to go. It will mount disks as they are needed. But dragging to the startup folder will work in a small environment where you can count the servers and users on the fingers of one hand.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I guess I missed where we were talking about mounting the NAS on a corporate LAN?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.