Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manneman32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Sweden
Enclosed two screenshots… need help with making a new partition.

My drive looked like this when I got the iMac. It turns up in finder as one drive but here as two (?).

I want to make a new partition to save my shows and music. But I’m not sure witch one of these I should use…

The physical disk is 2 TB and I really don’t know how to go about this.

Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 19

Manneman32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Sweden
Thank you for the link. A little clearer how it works… but still it’s not an answer to my question. Why I want a seperate partion is not the question. It’s how I go about making it, and where.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
All macOS systems since Catalina show two separate drives, but only one is accessible to you, the -data volume.
The other drive is locked down with the system files/folders. You can't store your own files on that drive--not easily, anyway. Luckily, the Finder knows where to store your files and folders.
This will be simpler, if you just make a folder for your "shows and music"
Or, if you really want a separate volume, then just add one to the existing APFS container.
In Disk Utility, click on the View icon, the Show All Devices. That will show the container on your drive.
Click the + (above volume/volym) to add a volume to your container. That will then not restrict the size, as the space on your new volume will share space available to all volumes in the container. It's that easy, no need for a partition. Name the new volume whatever you like. Move the folders/files that you need to that new volume.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
With APFS on Catalina and later, you really want to create volumes, not partitions. Partitions as mentioned has to have a fixed size, and volumes don't. One reason you might want to partition a drive today is to have partitions with different formats, like I have a portable drive with half of it formatted as APFS, and the other half as Exfat - to use on PCs. So with no special needs - APFS volumes all the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.