Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joker00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
strangely making a call to a number on a website works nicely.

However I can't call anyone from my address book?

Anyone else having a similar problem?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
No Volume

My problem is that I can select a number in my contact list and it will make the call and my iPhone has the "Speaker" on it selected but I can not hear via my Mac Speaker or the iPhone. If I click on and off the Speaker on the iPhone I can hear it on the iPhone. Have not tried with a web site number.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Where do you see the option to call? I open contacts and I see my contacts' numbers but it won't let me make a phone call.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Those of you who are *trying* to make calls, are you on iOS 7 or iOS 8 with your phones?

iOS 8. I actually found the option just by right clicking (heh) but whenever I click "call using iphone" I just get a flash of the speaker thing on the right hand side and nothing happens.

Edit: I turned bluetooth on on my iPhone. I thought bluetooth wasn't necessary for this? It seems to be making a phone call, but I can't hear anything.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Those of you who are *trying* to make calls, are you on iOS 7 or iOS 8 with your phones?
I think you need to be on iOS 8 and Mac 10.10 for all of this new connectivity stuff.

----------

iOS 8. I actually found the option just by right clicking (heh) but whenever I click "call using iphone" I just get a flash of the speaker thing on the right hand side and nothing happens.

Edit: I turned bluetooth on on my iPhone. I thought bluetooth wasn't necessary for this? It seems to be making a phone call, but I can't hear anything.
I do not right mouse click. I put my mouse on the the phone type (like Work) and it then selects the entire phone number while I just click on it. I then get a small menu to make the call or sms etc.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I think you need to be on iOS 8 and Mac 10.10 for all of this new connectivity stuff.

----------

I do not right mouse click. I put my mouse on the the phone type (like Work) and it then selects the entire phone number while I just click on it. I then get a small menu to make the call or sms etc.

Thanks. Do you have bluetooth enabled on your phone?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

----------

I was just wondering if it would work with iOS 7. I'm going to get the 10.10 public beta, but not the iOS 8 beta and really wanted to try this feature.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Thanks. Do you have bluetooth enabled on your phone?

Bluetooth is required for at least the part (or all) of these features.

When testing handoff where if I go into the Maps on my iPhone it will show up in the Doc on the Mac.

If I turn off WiFi it still works but if I turn off Bluetooth it does not. I am only talking about Bluetooth on my iPhone because if I turn off Bluetooth on my Mac I would loose my trackpad.

bookalon

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Kells, Ireland

i was playing around with last night after i came home, i must have had my bluetooth on, but i find it will not work at all with no bluetooth.

everything works with the bluetooth on, but same, I've no sound

nice feature when it rolls out

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
i was playing around with last night after i came home, i must have had my bluetooth on, but i find it will not work at all with no bluetooth.

everything works with the bluetooth on, but same, I've no sound

nice feature when it rolls out

Same here. No sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.