Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Make the bootable usb installer for 10.13 beta 2:

The installer name has changed for beta 2 and so the command for making the bootable usb has changed too.

So now for beta 2, format an 8 GB (or preferably 16GB) USB3 drive which should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal and wait about 20 minutes:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks.

It's also possible to produce an .iso – useful if aiming to test in a VirtualBox environment.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
Wait, does that mean that if you redownload HS from the App Store, you now get beta 2 instead of beta 1? That would be awesome, in previous betas you always got beta 1 and had to install the latest beta update.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Wait, does that mean that if you redownload HS from the App Store, you now get beta 2 instead of beta 1? That would be awesome, in previous betas you always got beta 1 and had to install the latest beta update.

Well this time beta 2 comes as a delta update and a full installer.

The delta update is quicker to download and install because it is smaller.

But the full installer can be used to make a bootable usb.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
What is different with the command ? it's the same application (createinstallmedia) with same arguments (volume and applicationpath) as before, or did I miss something ?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
What is different with the command ? it's the same application (createinstallmedia) with same arguments (volume and applicationpath) as before, or did I miss something ?

As I said before it is the name of the installer which has changed.

So use

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.13\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.13\ Beta.app --nointeraction

for beta 1

and

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction

for beta 2.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
That's exactly what I pointed out. The command is exactly the same since a few versions back, except of course the path of the installer

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
Anyway thanks for pointing this out. I just thought that if someone want to install a beta in early stage, he should be able to correct the command line by himself ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.