Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

🧐

• Total voters

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Make the iPhone SE 4 a small-sized phone like the 13 Mini, but with the best hardware​

and iPhone SE 4 will no longer be the cheapest iPhone in the lineup.
Good to fantasise. Reality? I don’t think so.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I voted yes because my number 1 priority is a small and light weight phone, but I would also appreciate the best camera on the phone. However I think the SE should remain as a cheaper phone and I hope they bring back the mini and introduce a mini pro. Just my 2c.

It will always be cheaper, because it will be smaller, but that doesn't mean it needs to be worse on the hardware side of things. Think of the first iPhone SE. I believe it had iPhone 6s hardware in the case of an iPhone 5/5s.

They should take the 13 Mini case's, and put the newest camera, processor, RAM etc. in it.

And with Touch ID and headphone port. It’s fun to fantasize.

Touch ID would take too much space. The current SE and Mini 13 have the same size approximately, but the 13 Mini's screen is much bigger. I don't think I need the headphone jack either.

Make the iPhone SE 4 a small-sized phone like the 13 Mini, but with the best hardware​

and iPhone SE 4 will no longer be the cheapest iPhone in the lineup.
Good to fantasise. Reality? I don’t think so.

Personally I would be ready to pay a good price for it. I want it to be small and have the latest and best hardware. But it needs to be the size of the 13 Mini.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It will always be cheaper, because it will be smaller, but that doesn't mean it needs to be worse on the hardware side of things. Think of the first iPhone SE. I believe it had iPhone 6s hardware in the case of an iPhone 5/5s.

They should take the 13 Mini case's, and put the newest camera, processor, RAM etc. in it.

Touch ID would take too much space. The current SE and Mini 13 have the same size approximately, but the 13 Mini's screen is much bigger. I don't think I need the headphone jack either.

Personally I would be ready to pay a good price for it. I want it to be small and have the latest and best hardware. But it needs to be the size of the 13 Mini.
SE is meant to be the cheapest entry level iPhone (even the first SE was), so what you’re asking for could no longer have the SE name. It would be either Mini Pro or Pro Mini, which I would buy.

I would settle for Touch ID in the power button. And I need wired headphones for layered audio recording, something that I’ve stopped doing on my phone because it’s become too much of a hassle, or impossible in some situations, now that it no longer has a headphone port.

Last edited:

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Fool me once… iPhone 12 mini
Fool me twice… iPhone 13 mini

Will Apple fall for it again?
Selling a variant of the Mini at £429 as an SE device is different than the 12/13 Mini being sold at £699. Said £429 Mini SE would probably sell a fair bit better than the current SE3, but Apple would make lower profits due to the higher bill of materials cost for the Mini.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Selling a variant of the Mini at £429 as an SE device is different than the 12/13 Mini being sold at £699. Said £429 Mini SE would probably sell a fair bit better than the current SE3, but Apple would make lower profits due to the higher bill of materials cost for the Mini.

Personally, I don't see Apple taking that road. If they're selling an iPhone 8 form factor for $429, an SE mini would be $549 minimum. That assumes Apple is willing to skip over the iPhone X/XS generation of chassis and jump to an iPhone 12/13 design for SE.

Reactions: brucemr

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Latest rumors seem to say Apple will skip all the way to 14:

I can imagine that happening because the article expects SE4 in 2025. By then, iPhone 17 will be out and even the regular models will use the new taller 6.3/6.9-inch form factor. SE4 using 6.1-inch iPhone 14 would be nothing unexpected.

But if an “SE mini” were launched today, I don’t think there’s any chance it would use iPhone 14 chassis. It would likely use the X/XS chassis.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I can imagine that happening because the article expects SE4 in 2025. By then, iPhone 17 will be out and even the regular models will use the new taller 6.3/6.9-inch form factor. SE4 using 6.1-inch iPhone 14 would be nothing unexpected.

But if an “SE mini” were launched today, I don’t think there’s any chance it would use iPhone 14 chassis. It would likely use the X/XS chassis.
Yes indeed, the X/XS chassis is the next model in line for the SE and i would indeed be very happy with a 5.8" device, but there has been zero rumours regarding it. All the rumours for the SE4 have been like Subjonas has said (going straight to a 6.1" iPhone 12/13/14 design). I doubt it will have an action button though, as that requires tooling which does not fit with the SE line up until now.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Has there been any leaked information as to whether the iPhone SE 4 will be eSim only? I just purchased an iPhone 13 from BB because that uses physical sim cards and I can't find any info if the next SE will still have a Sim tray.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Fool me once… iPhone 12 mini
Fool me twice… iPhone 13 mini

Will Apple fall for it again?
Fool you? I had 12 mini and i have 13 mini, i was never fooled by apple. Its my favourite phone - Small, lightweight and i forget i even have it in my pocket. But i know this all sounds strange to you, having a small phone, since you people these days like to torture yourself with huge phone in your pockets and hands.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.