Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jollyvideos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Italy
Hello everyone,
My name is Giovanni.

For days I've been looking for a solution to this problem anywhere on the net and at this point I would like to address you to the community.

My iMac 27 "2015 has been around for some time but I got its LCD that works perfectly and is also always a fantastic 5K display.

I wanted to make this LCD panel through an external "controller board", such as the link below.
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/DisplayPor...h=item286f2ab2ca:g:4fEAAOSwhnlb~fcj:rk:3:pf:0)
I've seen some tutorials and I've found out that they sell online for some specific models but unfortunately I did not find anything for the 2015 model.
the only ones are for Cinema Display or iMac 2012.
I ask for help from some expert so as to succeed.

The specific model is LG LM270QQ1 (SD) (B1)

Maybe you can find a controller that is compatible, even if it can not support 5K, even a lower resolution can work well as long as it works.

Thanks at all.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
I am afraid what you are looking for does not exist. Prior to the 2012 iMacs, Apple supported using iMacs in "Target Display Mode" - allowing you to use the iMac as a monitor for an external source. Apple has since discontinued that feature in iMacs.

It is not possible to use your iMac as an external display from a source other than the iMac itself. It is a terrible waste of the monitor, and it is a shame Apple did not support that technology in later iMacs.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Jollyvideos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Italy
I am afraid what you are looking for does not exist. Prior to the 2012 iMacs, Apple supported using iMacs in "Target Display Mode" - allowing you to use the iMac as a monitor for an external source. Apple has since discontinued that feature in iMacs.

It is not possible to use your iMac as an external display from a source other than the iMac itself. It is a terrible waste of the monitor, and it is a shame Apple did not support that technology in later iMacs.

mmm, it's not good news.
Yet online some with iMac of 2012 have succeeded, in the end the problem could also be that nobody has built a controller board that supports this model I fear. Thanks anyway for the support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.