Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allenpan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
i am in the process of making the Xserve LIF SSD connector cable for use with regular SATA SSD

i can make few more if anyone interested, i got the pin mapped, i just need to make them

the Xserve use 1.27mm 2x8pin SMD header

[doublepost=1501523698][/doublepost]RESERVED for UPDATES

1) [DONE] Prototype works!

Note: the pin header does provide 3.3V & 5V !!!, but some filer need it

20170801_133703983_iOS.jpg

20170801_225357741_iOS.jpg

20170801_225408194_iOS.jpg

2) going to order single piece 7+15 female and create PCB for this
s-l1600.jpg

3) going to get SATA to mSATA adapter!
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

XserveJunkie

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
i am in the process of making the Xserve LIF SSD connector cable for use with regular SATA SSD

i can make few more if anyone interested, i got the pin mapped, i just need to make them

the Xserve use 1.27mm 2x8pin SMD header

[doublepost=1501523698][/doublepost]RESERVED for UPDATES

1) [DONE] Prototype works!

Note: the pin header does provide 3.3V & 5V !!!, but some filer need it

Finally!!! Someone actually did it!
I just got the Xserve and find it's too restricted when it came to which SSD we can use.

I have the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB currently in the optical drive bay (not bootable) because of Xserve restriction, but everything else works.

I would like to move the Samsung over to the 1.27mm 2x8 pin SMD and make it bootable.

I'd prefer no board but only straight cable- one end plugs directly into the SSD sata interface to the SMD header to save space. And then use heat shrink tubing on the SMD end for a clean look.

I'd be willing to buy one from you if you can make one or if not, can you provide schematics? Thanks

allenpan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I am waiting for my pcb machine to arrive and to test my schematic/pcb

The reason I choose Malta with adapter board due to the packaging size, 2.5" SATA is too big to fit into the original slot.

While msata with adapter board comes very lose to 1.8"

Yes by design of my pcb/cable you can use 2.5" sata SSD but I don't think you will be able to leave it in that location

Wtb, I am unable to get any of my SSD (2.5") recognized properly with the optical bay,,, wonder how u got it working...

I tried the following in the optical bay: OCZ Agility 480GB, Hynix 512GB

Last, due to only 2x pcie slots I am also trying to make an external pcie multiplexor board to expand the pcie slots, will upload some progress when I got more time

XserveJunkie

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
I am waiting for my pcb machine to arrive and to test my schematic/pcb

The reason I choose Malta with adapter board due to the packaging size, 2.5" SATA is too big to fit into the original slot.

While msata with adapter board comes very lose to 1.8"

Yes by design of my pcb/cable you can use 2.5" sata SSD but I don't think you will be able to leave it in that location

Wtb, I am unable to get any of my SSD (2.5") recognized properly with the optical bay,,, wonder how u got it working...

I tried the following in the optical bay: OCZ Agility 480GB, Hynix 512GB

Last, due to only 2x pcie slots I am also trying to make an external pcie multiplexor board to expand the pcie slots, will upload some progress when I got more time

Hey thanks for the response.

I may be even thinking about buying 3 module blanks, and running a Y cable from middle and right module all the way to the optical sata interface for third party storage (non-bootable).

Considering what you said about 2.5" not fitting, Ill move it into the left module and run a sata cable to the 2x8 SMD for booting the Samsung 1TB. I'll have to look again to see if the inner frame would even allow running the sata cables.

For the optical drive bay, I used the OWC Data Doubler found here:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Data_Doubler

For the PCIE I have a riser cable running out the back from the outermost slot to drive my EVGA GeForce 970 (Maxwell) with an external power supply. Unfortunately, since the Apple SSD is booting 10.8.3, leaving that card in results in a boot loop and drivers for that card won't install unless I upgrade to at least 10.10. Meantime, I won't be installing/updating anything until I can boot the Samsung 1TB to 10.11 and keep the stock SSD as it is as 10.12 is unsupported on 2009 Xserves.

Let me know on the progress of the adapter you're building. Just a thought, wouldn't it be cheaper to just build the adapter around a sata cable than PCB?

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Nice work.

I just added an SSD to the first bay, and was able to get it reasonably secure while being creative.

The down sides: giving up a bay, and having the single point of failure (no RAID on boot SSD).

I had to HDs mirrored in the other two bays.

Your adapter allowing a 4th internal drive is taking it to another level.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 2009 Xserve has an optional SSD that can be installed and it uses a unique little SSD port. It uses an expensive little cable and an uncommon, slow, and small SSD of 128GB. This will allow you to use any mSATA SSD with the internal SSD port in the Xserve.

Reactions: tevion5 and adam9c1

vinco2

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
hello.
To save space , what do you think of making a mSata board with a cable ending with 2x8pin SMD female ?

linuxjackie

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
Hello , can you share how to diy?
I live in HK, afraid the freight will very expensive, so better do it myself !
Thanks

XserveJunkie

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
No, but I know why he’s probably non-responsive about it. I found the adapters online.

Supplies:
1) A 24-pin ZIF to SATA adapter like this one: https://m.newegg.com/products/17Z-003J-000F3

2) An original Xserve SSD ribbon cable in case you don’t want to cut up the original ribbon cable. Reason why you’d need to cut the corners of the ZIF end of the ribbon cable is due to #1 adapter fitting it. Keep in mind once it’s cut, you can no longer use it with the original SSD as mismatching pins can fry your drive or controller. F31C4FA5-A55C-4DE9-9899-3D29D6275211.jpeg

3) A SATA HDD

I cannot confirm whether this setup will work as I haven’t found a XServe ribbon cable myself.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Why would you need to trim the Xserve ZIF cable? That adapter will work with standard ZIF drive cables, like that in the Xserve. Even then, the adapter in the link you posted is meant to be used to connect a ZIF drive to a SATA port in a computer.

pilepalle

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
@XserveJunkie Danke für die Informationen.

If I would like to work without the ZIF adapter, as shown in picture 2. Does anyone know the pin assignment?? And where can I get such a small plug?

XserveJunkie

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
Why would you need to trim the Xserve ZIF cable? That adapter will work with standard ZIF drive cables, like that in the Xserve. Even then, the adapter in the link you posted is meant to be used to connect a ZIF drive to a SATA port in a computer.

Because I’ve tried fitting the ribbon cable. I forgot to include the SATA cable. To connect the adapter to a SATA drive, you’ll need male-to-male SATA cable.

AlexClassicMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
I'd love to have that internal 1,8" SSD for my Xserve and agree it is really impressive what you show here.

But for the time being I am going with the OWC Acelsior Adapter PCI Card and a Samsung 2,5" SSD. Full name is this 'OWC Accelsior S - 2,5-Inch-SATA-6G'
It is still available new at Amazon, works nicely and the Xserve can even boot from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.