Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
It is an impressive piece of software. I use it an love it. Now it might be easier to track further DVD"s from turning up missing cause I have so many.

jon

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I hope Apple doesn't attempt to steal it. I'd be happy if they bought them out and integrated it with Tiger. The iSight/barcode reader thing is awesome.

Fishes,
narco.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
narco said:
I hope Apple doesn't attempt to steal it.
That's kind of an odd thing to say. I'm sure if they wanted it, they buy it first. At least, I'd hope they would. Don't really see the need for the rest of us, but it might come in handy for some.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
solvs said:
That's kind of an odd thing to say. I'm sure if they wanted it, they buy it first. At least, I'd hope they would. Don't really see the need for the rest of us, but it might come in handy for some.
There have been many instances where companies have claimed Apple used their idea. Recent ones being Watson and Konfabulator. There have been more in the past. Nothing you can really do about it.

jon

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
iJon said:
There have been many instances where companies have claimed Apple used their idea. Recent ones being Watson and Konfabulator. There have been more in the past. Nothing you can really do about it.
They offered the Watson guy a job and the Konfab guy used to work at Apple. As Daring Fireball reminded me, it was once called Desk Accessories. Plus, Arlo was warned they were going to do Dashboard. Same with SoundJam and Audion.

I'm sure they have, but I doubt they'd do it with software like this. At least, not without offering them a job first.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
after reading this article I downloaded the demo, after about 15 minutes of playing with it I bought it. it's great! :D

the only thing I'm concerned about is what happens when it's upgraded to 2.0, will I have to buy another license? :\

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
narco said:
I hope Apple doesn't attempt to steal it. I'd be happy if they bought them out and integrated it with Tiger. The iSight/barcode reader thing is awesome.

Fishes,
narco.

Apple steal it? What makes you say something like that?

And, the iSight reader thing was done by Booxter well before Delicious Library (and maybe booxter weren't even the first - I don't know). Do you consider this theft also? (I don't)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
solvs said:
They offered the Watson guy a job and the Konfab guy used to work at Apple. As Daring Fireball reminded me, it was once called Desk Accessories. Plus, Arlo was warned they were going to do Dashboard. Same with SoundJam and Audion.

I'm sure they have, but I doubt they'd do it with software like this. At least, not without offering them a job first.
Interesting, I didn't know that. As for SoundJam, I think Apple bought the developers and went from there.

jon

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I have to say, they picked one cool coffeehouse to set up shop. I wonder if people ever walk in and talk to them about the software they make? It might be interesting if they occasionally set up an hour or so where people could come in and give them feedback on Delicious Library.

Oh ya, and did you see the picture of the latte? COOOOOOL. :D

Attachments

• 3272_f.jpg
    3272_f.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 163

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
iJon said:
Interesting, I didn't know that. As for SoundJam, I think Apple bought the developers and went from there.

jon
I didn't either until I read about most of it on Daring Fireball. SJ they bought. Audion they offered because they were about to release iTunes, but the Audion guys refused. There was an interesting story posted on their website after the decided to release it for free after discontinuing it.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
If you're going to charge $40 for a shareware app, don't try to siphon more off the side. I don't like this - has an adware feel to it.

If you purchase something from Amazon by following a link from Delicious Library the item costs the same as if you had gone to Amazon on your own, but Delicious Monster sends along its affiliate code and so we earn a small percentage of all sales as a reward from Amazon.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
plasticparadox said:
If you're going to charge $40 for a shareware app, don't try to siphon more off the side. I don't like this - has an adware feel to it.

Not really, I dont think. The fact that they are admitting what they're doing is great, and proves they're not trying to do it in secret.

Plus, If somebody has bought a piece of software from a company, I'm sure they dont mind giving that company some extra cash - dont forget, more money means more development, and more development makes a better app!

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Would it be OK then, if a web browser started adding its affiliate code to all Amazon purchases? It's shady.

If DM wants to release their software in 2 modes - sponsored and paid, that's cool. But don't make people pay, and make Amazon pay on top of that. That's just greedy. Besides, I pay for software if it's useful to me. I could frankly care less about supporting these guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.