Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Ok, didn't know where else to post this, because its a PC topic, but you guys have gotten me going with these awesome desktop's you've been posting. So, assuming I had a lot of these cool pics, how would I make my own screen saver on a PC? Can you get it to choose from a folder, or can you actually make your own screensaver. I have Flash MX, does that help?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Greencardman said:
Ok, didn't know where else to post this, because its a PC topic, but you guys have gotten me going with these awesome desktop's you've been posting. So, assuming I had a lot of these cool pics, how would I make my own screen saver on a PC? Can you get it to choose from a folder, or can you actually make your own screensaver. I have Flash MX, does that help?

Right click on desktop, screensaver tab, My Pictures Slideshow. Then Settings, and browse to the folder you want.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
http://www.axialis.com/docs/pssp/Compile_a_Screen_Saver_file_(.SCR).htm

Screensavers use .scr files.

The major issue with .scr files is that most viruses come in the .scr format. If you plan to use it personally that will work, but if you plan to offer it as a download for people, most companies now wrap it in a .exe file - you run the .exe and install the screensaver, which just drops the .scr file into the screen saver folder of the users choice.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Ok, they don't seem to make any free screensaver applications that let you do cool fade transitions. I spent ages on download.com. So is there any way to make a flash file into an scr file?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Greencardman said:
Ok, they don't seem to make any free screensaver applications that let you do cool fade transitions. I spent ages on download.com. So is there any way to make a flash file into an scr file?
Here's one way to do it. You could also Google the following:

flash "screen saver"

and see a lot more potential solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.