Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
I've noticed that whenever I initiate or accept a phone call on my Apple Watch, the call always gets routed through the Apple Watch. There are some scenarios where I'd like it to behave differently, most notably when I have a handsfree device connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone. In that case, I would like calls placed or accepted on the Apple Watch to be routed to the handsfree device connected to my iPhone. Does anyone know if this is possible?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Short answer is no.

Bluetooth devices are connected to only one device at a time, you can't utilize Hands-free devices connected your iPhone from your watch. You will need to use Apple's defined hand-off to actually switch the call from your watch to your iPhone.

When you initiate a call on your watch or answer a call on your watch. all calls use the built-in watch microphone and speaker (or watch connected Bluetooth accessory). You can also chose to answer using iPhone or send a text message instead, turn the Digital Crown to scroll down, then tap an option.

You can always switch an active all from Apple Watch to iPhone. While talking on Apple Watch, unlock iPhone, then tap the green bar at the top of the screen.

Dave

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Interesting I’ve yet to successfully hear voice calls via bluetooth headphones/mic
Music is fine
Calls do not route via headphones-i.e. bluetooth
Maybe need to re try this weekend.

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
Short answer is no.

Bluetooth devices are connected to only one device at a time, you can't utilize Hands-free devices connected your iPhone from your watch. You will need to use Apple's defined hand-off to actually switch the call from your watch to your iPhone.

When you initiate a call on your watch or answer a call on your watch. all calls use the built-in watch microphone and speaker (or watch connected Bluetooth accessory). You can also chose to answer using iPhone or send a text message instead, turn the Digital Crown to scroll down, then tap an option.

You can always switch an active all from Apple Watch to iPhone. While talking on Apple Watch, unlock iPhone, then tap the green bar at the top of the screen.

Dave

That's kind of what I thought, although I didn't know about using the DC to select "Answer on iPhone". Answering a call via my car's head unit is simple enough, so that I normally do so when I'm in the car. Initiating a call from my head unit can be problematic. Sure, it has a mechanism for activating Siri, but sometimes when I try to do it my phone disconnects from the head unit. I'm going to make sure that my next car supports CarPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.