Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
UK
I purchased my first mac a few months ago and have been building up a collection of digital photos in iPhoto. I would like to be able to print my own calendar using some of my photos and would appreciate some advice on the best way to do this on a mac.

I am using Photoshop Elements 3.0 and was hoping it would be able to create a calendar template, after looking at a book it only mentioned this ability in the Windows version.

Do I need to get some specific software to create and print my own calendars (if so any good recommendations) or is there some other way to do this using the tools in OS X?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Applespider

macrumors G4
iPhoto 6 has calendar support built into it with a variety of templates and styles.

Choose your pics, hit the button, bring in key dates from iCal diaries and any national holidays you are interested in. You can rearrange photos in a number of different styles and have pictures on some of the days too.

You can choose to have Apple (Kodak) print and bind it or save it as a PDF and print it yourself.

It's £11.99 for each calendar in the UK plus £3.99 postage per order.

jaseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
UK
I have iPhoto 5, can this do the same or would I need to upgrade.

To be able to save to pdf would be great as I would liek to be able to print them myself.

Otherwise are there any freeware or shareware apps I can download for doing this?

Applespider

macrumors G4
jaseman said:

You'd need to upgrade (£55) although the additional speed improvements and editing tools might make it worthwhile; particularly if you are likely to use iMovie/iDVD or iWeb.

Alternatively - but still getting someone else to print them, photobox.co.uk do printed calendars of your uploaded pics although you don't have as much control over them.

Versiontracker lists these calendar templates that can be used in Elements 2 or 3. They're $19.95.

looklost

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2002
Chicago Suburbs
jaseman said:

To be able to save to pdf would be great as I would liek to be able to print them myself.

Otherwise are there any freeware or shareware apps I can download for doing this?

You need to upgrade, iphoto 5 does not have this option. I haven't upgraded yet but I talked with someone who has and has messed around with the calendar option and loves it. Plus they said they were able to print the calendar on their own printer.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I made one recently using PhotoShop Elements 2.0 and cafepress.com. It takes some skill, but wasn't too hard. iPhoto gives you a lot better looking ones though (pics on days in the calendar if you like) and is a good bit easier. I won't be using CafePress again unless they're significantly cheaper than the iPhoto calendars for those reasons.

I do recommend CafePress for other stuff though, like shirts and mugs, etc.

jW

jaseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
UK
Looks like I will need to think about upgrading to iLife 06 then. At least I will get iWeb then as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.