Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gideon1906

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Perhaps I'm going crazy but I am able to make calls on my watch when only connected to my phone with wifi (no Bluetooth).

Is anyone else able to do this? Why is it that everything I read about what I can do with the phone on wifi only never mentions this (including the recent article on macrumors on this topic)?

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Perhaps I'm going crazy but I am able to make calls on my watch when only connected to my phone with wifi (no Bluetooth).

Is anyone else able to do this? Why is it that everything I read about what I can do with the phone on wifi only never mentions this (including the recent article on macrumors on this topic)?

Yep. This and pretty much everything else you can do on BT, you can do on WIFI.
There's a lot of bad info around here about the WIFI functionality. I find it's almost exactly the same.

My only issue was that I had to 'forget' then re-login to my network to 'teach' my watch the credentials. Since then, all is good. And the whole need to split SSID's between 2.4 and 5 Ghz is bogus. The watch can't use 5 Ghz, but as long as you have both in your house, you can use the watch and the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.