Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zastin17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2017
I I have a question about "blessed System Folders. To make them "bootable"

For the most part, atleast in my Classic II on older Mac os system. To copy a system folder I could drag and drop onto a disk. And this has always worked for me. Bootable everytime. Since my Macintoj journey began. This is how I've always copied sysyem disks.

This is also how I made my old Ancient Mac plus Seagate 20Mb SCSI bootable aswell. "Just dragged system folder from Floppy the the hard drive. And it was that easy and booted 1st try. Super intuitive and simple.

But yesterday, for the first time, I tried copying pre extracted system 6x folder onto a 800k floppy on my Power Macintosh 8100. "Meaninf raw sysyem files This is how I make my 128K 400K floppies too. "Drag and drop" all the files and the OS aswell on Mac plus onto 400K from hard drive folder.

But the system folder doesn't boot on the Macintosh 512k. Just X icon. I tried making a copy of a few retail disks. None of those are bootable either. Like Huh!!?? It's the same files on both disks? Retail disks boot just fine so its not the drive.

This method has always worked for me, what changed? Does system 7.5 do something different? I updated both my Classic II and Power Mac 8100 to system 7.5, so that's something that recently changed. All Drives and compatible with eachother and all floppy disks read.

Is their an extra step I need to do on these later systems to make a 800k Floppy disk bootable from system folder? I'm reading this can be an issue at times. Blessing Sysyem folder to make it bootable" ??

How do I go about doing that?? Lol.

I'm assuming diskCopy is the solution, shrinkwrap for a perfect 1:1 image, Ect. But why does this "drag and drop" not work for me anymore to make bootable floppy? This is the first time ive attempted 800k floppies on my Power.macintosh 8100 as fwi. But it uses same system Os as my Classic 2, though recently updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.