Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roberta2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2003
New Jersey
i am looking to buy a mac, both a notebook and desktop. I'm going to buy the the G5 1.8 or 2.0. For the notebook i'm looking at the ibook 12". I plan on doing graphic design work. The G5 is going to be my main computer i use...duh. The ibook is not going to be used for the heavy graphic use(email, sufing the web..stuff like that). I only want a notebook so i can get the $200 back when you buy an Ipod together.

So my question is should i go for the ibook or the powerbook?

What would be the better choice and buy?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Are you serious about buying a laptop just so you can get $200 off an iPod? If you are, that's a silly thing to say because you're losing money on that deal. Even if you buy the lowest-end iBook that qualifies for the rebate, you're spending around $1200 after rebates to get your iPod. If you just buy the bloody iPod you're spending under $300.

Assuming you really do need a notebook computer, yeah, go for the iBook. It sounds like it will suit your needs just fine. No need to spend the extra money on a PowerBook, especially considering you are buying a G5 for your real work.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
I'm not exactly sure, but I ::think:: the offer doesn't apply to the lowest-end iBook, only the second-lowest. Read the fine print, I remember seeing something like that.

roberta2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2003
New Jersey
right now im using a windows computer and i don't want to use the ipod on windows. Yes i know $200 is not much but its something..right? I know it sounds silly but why use an ipod on a windows computer if it was really made to go with a mac.

I think its time to switch anyway....I had to call compaq help desk 4 times and sent my computer in once. It gets annoying using windows cuz it freezes a lot!!! I had to reinstall windows um..about 5 times in a year...Geez

Oh by the way im using a notebook(Compaq) and it well...um..sucks. all the problems go with my laptop stated above.so i think i need to switch.

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Uh, I have a compaq laptop as well and have had no problems, no windows freeze ups in the 3 months i've had it. Maybe you did something to it to mess it up? or got a lemon?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
wowoah-

I am well aware of that. That's why I said "the lowest-end iBook that qualifies for the iPod".

roberta-

Your iPod will work just fine with your G5. Your original post led me to believe that your only reason to buy an iBook was to get $200 off an iPod, hence my mini-rant.

If you really do need a notebook computer, the iBook is a good bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.