Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

learjet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
I have a few questions regarding using my beloved MS Pro Intellimouse with my future Mac:

I believe the most effective way to ensure that generic USB mice function well under MacOS is to utilize USB drivers such as USB Overdrive or SteerMouse, is that correct?

I aim to accomplish the following: a.) replicate the Windows-like mouse acceleration curve, b.) ensure smooth scrolling with the mouse wheel, and c.) enable the mouse side buttons to work consistently across various applications.

What settings in USB Overdrive or SteerMouse would you recommend to achieve a Windows-like behavior in mouse acceleration?

Thank you!

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
https://linearmouse.app/ is the modern day third-party solution for the acceleration aspect, and it can do some button stuff too. It's approximately SteerMouse but free.

---

Note that even that may not be needed, because the built-in System Settings on macOS Sonoma onwards has this toggle:

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.06.40.png

BTW you won't have a good time with your new Mac if your overall mindset is that things that work the way you're already used to are "sane" and correct, and things that differ from that are wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.