Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I got a bit of a scare this morning, though I'm hoping its ok.

Windows Defender flashed in the notification area telling me of a severe thread Trojan:JS/Malscript

I'm kind of thinking it might be a false positive because I literally just finished installing the trial version of CaptureOne and malwarebytes didn't come alive to tell me about the threat. I had updated malwarebytes the other day so I'm enjoying the premium version as a trial again. I've had the free version running.

I told windows Defender to delete the file, and it was in one of the appdata netcache folders, the fact I was installing C1 seconds before the notification gives me reason to think I'm ok.

Any other suggestions on how to proceed? I'm currently doing a deep scan with Windows Defender.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Try Emsisoft Emergency Kit and or Kaspersky KVRT both are on demand and don't mess with the system. As for Malwarebytes ceased using it years ago as it pretty ineffective IMO. Better to go all in with Bitdefender if want to have more protection.

Personally I just use Windows Defender bolstered by the on demand scanners. To date no issue and I've even checked out the SW image's with Bitdefender with zero hits. I also use VoodooShield which is like a far smarter UAC, if something isn't verified it wont be allowed to install period.

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I do like malwarebytes and I have a fair amount of confidence in Windows Defender though I may install BitDefender. In any case I do think its CaptureOne that is causing it and I opened a case with them.

After clean up and some deep scans, everything came back clean. I restarted C1 and boom, WindowsDefender warned me again of the very same issue. I've not determined what I want to do yet (quarantine, delete or allow) and I'll wait to hear back from the support folks from C1.

I may uninstall C1, and monitor to see if I get any more warnings.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Does this help?
Thanks, I saw those as well, though since its from 2017, I don't know if it they're applicable.

PhaseOne replied the case I opened and it does appear to be a false positive and they'll have an update at some point. the wording in the reply implied a hotfix but we'll see

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I've uninstalled CaptureOne and the malware warnings have disappeared. They had offered me a 30% discount, however that was on a 500 dollar package, and not their stand alone app. The price, and headaches with the warnings were enough to sour my appeal on this app

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've uninstalled CaptureOne and the malware warnings have disappeared. They had offered me a 30% discount, however that was on a 500 dollar package, and not their stand alone app. The price, and headaches with the warnings were enough to sour my appeal on this app
That's too bad, but at least they gave you a nice offer. What does the application do, anyway?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
That's too bad, but at least they gave you a nice offer. What does the application do, anyway?
Its a lightroom competitor. Its one of the few apps out there that has a decent DAM (Digital Asset Management) component, top notch RAW engine and non-destructive editing.

If you run the numbers (which I did), without any sort of discount C1 is only cheaper by the 4th year - and only if I skip the annual upgrades. Since I'm well entrenched with LR (though I hate subscriptions), there had to be a compelling reasons and 30% off was close to that, as I'd be saving money by year 3 but I misread the offer. It was a suite that was discounted, not the stand alone app - I don't need or want the suite.

I'll stick with LR as it is the best on the market, I just hate paying a subscription.
upload_2019-7-14_9-15-17.png

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Ignore the Bundle.
Yeah, my needs are fairly humble, and as I mentioned - I misread the offer, I thought it was 30% for the app, not the suite. I just couldn't justify spending money right now,and as shown above, I'm not seeing any benefit.

They had offered some folks 50% a few months ago, but I never received the offer email, that would have changed the equation, but as it stands, I'll be on LR for another year

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
When I was in the market for C1 I was able to find some coupons but nothing more than 15%.
Still on Adobe subscription myself but really want to escape it.

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
When I was in the market for C1 I was able to find some coupons but nothing more than 15%.
Still on Adobe subscription myself but really want to escape it.

I've never seen a good discount on a floating coupon. To gain a worthwhile discount on Capture One you need to be running the trial version - after a week they'll send you a discount code which can be up to 30% on both the bundles and the app on its own. If not, drop them a line telling them you're on the trial and ask what they will do for you.

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
Its a lightroom competitor. Its one of the few apps out there that has a decent DAM (Digital Asset Management) component, top notch RAW engine and non-destructive editing.

If you run the numbers (which I did), without any sort of discount C1 is only cheaper by the 4th year - and only if I skip the annual upgrades. Since I'm well entrenched with LR (though I hate subscriptions), there had to be a compelling reasons and 30% off was close to that, as I'd be saving money by year 3 but I misread the offer. It was a suite that was discounted, not the stand alone app - I don't need or want the suite.

I'll stick with LR as it is the best on the market, I just hate paying a subscription.
View attachment 848091

You might want to confirm with PhaseOne if you can skip major upgrades (which are usually yearly) and still gain the upgrade price. You used to be able to miss every other major upgrade without a penalty but I think they may have changed the system whereby if you skip a paid upgrade you have to pay the application's total price. Worth double checking before you make the committment.

I also loathe subscription models but I think the major players are all moving in that direction - we won't have a choice in a couple of years.
[doublepost=1564088739][/doublepost]
Ignore the Bundle. Those styles do not worth the money.
There are some threads about this topic on dpreview.

The Capture One styles are quite overpriced.

RNI have some nice ones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.