Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac needs a small protection against malware?

• yup

• nop

• macOS are safe no malware here

Results are only viewable after voting.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Your poll is a little misleading because the title is about malware, but one of the options mentions viruses
The 2 are not the same

That said, running Malwarebytes won't hurt your system and can find and clean much of the common malware
I've run the free version a few times, but never have found anything

If you are experiencing anything unusual, I'd say give it a go and see what you get

Reactions: camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Your poll is a little misleading because the title is about malware, but one of the options mentions viruses
The 2 are not the same

That said, running Malwarebytes won't hurt your system and can find and clean much of the common malware
I've run the free version a few times, but never have found anything

If you are experiencing anything unusual, I'd say give it a go and see what you get

Don't be shy and vote :)
Came

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think the protection needed depends on the user. If the user has a basic understanding of how bad things get on a computer, it's not needed. If the user likes to click every link, open every email, and download lots of files from questionable sites, then yes it's needed.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Yes, you should run MalwareBytes.
No, you DO NOT have to use "the paid version".
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.
When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now".
Just click "Scan Now".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!

Joemikeb

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Yes you do need some protection because even the most security wise can be fooled or get careless and allow malware in. By-the-way Malwarebytes includes viruses, trojans, etc. in their definition af malware. While you can run the Malwarebytes Free version, forever, the paid version runs automatically on the schedule you set and updates iself silently in the background. If I find an app to be useful I feel the developer deserves to be compensated for their effort whether it is marketed as commercial ware, shareware, donation ware, or even free ware.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I've been a user os MBAM since its incept (and a Paid Subscriber to MBAM since it required the whole "Pay-To-Play" paradigm (PC, *+* Mac), and it /has/ helped me to be more secure...

...yet, the logistics of the 'PTP' thing has proven to be problematic (esp. on the paying side of things (payment processors--in general--have gotten a bit unruly, and far (far) too big for their britches)) . . . subscriptions sp. to MBAM have become a PITA ;/

I don't mind paying for something I envision holds-value, but the process could be a lot, lot easier 8-|

If MBAM doesn't get their ***** together wrt/"Payment Processing", I'm definitely gana go Clint Eastwood, and let my Web Exp. go Raw.'

Regards, splifingate

plantago

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
I recently had a problem with Google as my default search engine having been changed to Bing. I had originally removed Malwarebytes as I had been told that the Mac OS X had it's own protection (???). It was suggested that I re-install it and was then able to get rid of a small embedded fie in the Safari settings that had changed the default search engine.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I recently had a problem with Google as my default search engine having been changed to Bing. I had originally removed Malwarebytes as I had been told that the Mac OS X had it's own protection (???). It was suggested that I re-install it and was then able to get rid of a small embedded fie in the Safari settings that had changed the default search engine.
Microsoft trying to get more business?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.