Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertFox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Hello,

I am trying to create a new database with the mysqladmin command in MAMP. Im in the terminal and I have navigated to

/Applications/MAMP/bin/mysql4/bin

and then I hit

sudo ./mysqladmin create databasename

and I get this message

error: 'Access denied for user: 'xxxxxxx@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You don't want to use sudo with MAMP's mysql. (the user "root" in mysql isn't the same thing as the user "root" in OS X, they just picked the same name to confuse everybody.)

Assuming you kept the MAMP defaults, use this command to do what you tried:

./mysqladmin -u root -p create databasename

When it prompts you for a password, that should also be root (use whatever password is shown when you open the start page from the MAMP control panel).

(You probably noticed from what I wrote above that MAMP is configured in a wildly insecure manner. It should only be used for development, it's not suitable for use on public networks!)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I suggest CocoaMySQL (a cocoa GUI for MySQL) for administrating your MySQL database(s).

It requires a little knowledge on how MySQL works, but that's the case for any MySQL administration (especially for security issues)...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MAMP has phpMyAdmin preinstalled, that ought to be a good enough front end. But all those front end toys are cheating :D

DesertFox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Thanks to all the replies,

But i think my question should be a liitle more specific:

I am trying to accomplish this step in the PHP-Nuke setup:

http://phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=PHP-Nuke_HOWTO&page=database-creation.html

Each time I type in the command ./mysqladmin -u root -p create database

It just tells me that there is no such file or directory.

I have done a default install of MAMP and my PHP-Nuke files are in the htdocs folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.