Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Prosoon, however I can't justify the price tag of £799. £679 is really the maximum I can go (plus the Apple Pencil).

A lot of what I'll be doing is simply streaming however I anticipate I will likely be doing quite a lot (not loads) of drawing. What are the best ways to manage my storage. Is iCoud drive an option? Or maybe Dropbox?

Basically are the files types from apps such as Procreate and Adobe sketch compatible with cloud storage? Or would I have to save as an image and loser layers etc?

Any advice would be great!

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
You know, I passed over your title without reading it, thought to myself that I'd never get the 32gb model. Then I thought about it, these days, ALL my music is on the cloud and is streamed as source. All my movies for the most part are on cloud and are streamed. The relevant part of my work life exists on a 5gb dropbox account without any troubles. The only hiccups for me potentially would be:

1. Photos - If the goal is to use this device as my main device, it would need to store my photos (about 24gb at present). In theory I could pay for iCloud storage and store them without using up storage on IPP.

2. I travel a LOT, I spend almost 200 days per year on airplanes. I do like watching downloaded tv series etc on flights. While a lot of the flights are long, I probably would not watch more than 5hrs of anything per flight, so I believe I could manage that within the 32gb.

3. This is the hard to get around point. The only cellular model is the 128gb. Yes I can hotspot from my phone, but I prefer the seamless option of pulling it out and it being ready... (Don't go there...)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
You know, I passed over your title without reading it, thought to myself that I'd never get the 32gb model. Then I thought about it, these days, ALL my music is on the cloud and is streamed as source. All my movies for the most part are on cloud and are streamed. The relevant part of my work life exists on a 5gb dropbox account without any troubles. The only hiccups for me potentially would be:

1. Photos - If the goal is to use this device as my main device, it would need to store my photos (about 24gb at present). In theory I could pay for iCloud storage and store them without using up storage on IPP.

2. I travel a LOT, I spend almost 200 days per year on airplanes. I do like watching downloaded tv series etc on flights. While a lot of the flights are long, I probably would not watch more than 5hrs of anything per flight, so I believe I could manage that within the 32gb.

3. This is the hard to get around point. The only cellular model is the 128gb. Yes I can hotspot from my phone, but I prefer the seamless option of pulling it out and it being ready... (Don't go there...)

Thanks for replying. Mine will be mostly an at home / university device (I'll have wifi at both) so definitely won't need the cellular option. Do you have an idea of being able to store procreate files in either iCloud Drive or Dropbox etc. Or is that not possible?

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Airstash will work with iPad for streaming but cost of it plus SD cards would be same as going to 128g.

Thanks. I've just looked into more detail at the apps I mentioned and turns out that procreate can use iCloud Drive, so that issue it sorted.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Or maybe wait until you've saved and get 128GB...

It's not that I haven't got the money, it's whether or not I can justify spending the extra £120 on storage that I very likely won't need.

I've considered the options and looked at all of the main apps that I plan on using and pretty much all of them support iCloud Drive, so I'm going to give it a go. If the worst comes to the worst and I need more space, I'll sell the 32GB model for probably more than I purchased it for (I've got a 12% staff discount) and purchase the 128GB.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
My old iPad Air and my iPad Pro are both 32GB models and I've never ran into storage issues. I use my MBP for major file stuff as its my primary computer. I don't store a ton of things on my iPads. If you use an actual computer at home then you don't have to put everything you own onto your iPad. Just put on what you need for your outing and remove it afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.