Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I have an iPhone 3G and am looking for the all around best RSS reader. I read on MacRumors.com that Manifesto and Newsstand are both worthy of an A- but the article didn't say which one was better. I am not sure which RSS reader to get.

Should I get Manifesto or Newsstand? Which is better?

Please Advise,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

Lewiji

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
I've used both and I prefer Newsstand.

The coverflow style browsing is really good, I though it'd be a gimmick but it really is a nice way to browse your feeds.

Also the ability to make different folders is a nice touch.

Manifesto crashed a lot for me too, although the new update presumably would fix that.

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008

The coverflow style browsing is really good, I though it'd be a gimmick but it really is a nice way to browse your feeds.

Manifesto crashed a lot for me too, although the new update presumably would fix that.

Any other advantages that one has over the other?

Please Advise,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
I have both newsstand and manifesto. Newsstand was my primary rss feeds reader until recently when i've decided to remove newsstand from my iphone and use manifesto exclusively. I have a few reasons for my decision.

One is the fact that I didn't like the fact that newsstand capped the number of articles per feed to 50. When I asked the developer if we could have a setting to not cap the max number of articles but provide a setting by which we could specify number of days to have an article before auto removing the article.....this way the number of articles is controlled by how recent the article is, the developer's response was "I'll think about it". Can you imagine if email was capped to some hard number? if you are like me, i'm sure the number of articles is less important than how recent the articles are. Manifesto on the other hand will display all the articles for a feed going back to x days as per your setting. I also asked him to add time stamps to articles like manifesto has, and he questioned me on the "usefulness" of having a timestamp. Can you imagine if you had no notion of when an email was received other than the date? That is just unacceptable, and to be questioned as to why I would ask for it is ridiculous to say the least. I just didn't like the newsstand dev's attitude based on my correspondence with him.

Second, manifesto allows you to import your google feeds. This is key!!! There are enough reports of users of any application and newsstand is not immune to this, where during updates, data or settings get wiped out. If you have quite a number of feeds, to get them back into the app would be a manual pain in the ass. With manifesto, you just enter your google feeds login info and then select which feeds you want to import (or all) into your iphone. a quick 5 second process to get back up and running in case of data loss.

Third, after running both apps for sometime on my 3g iphone, i have to say manifesto seems much quicker in pulling down articles when compared to newsstand.

Fourth, the developer for manifesto will respond very quickly to questions and is very open to new ideas. I have corresponded with him on multiple occassions and he is working hard on closing the gaps where newsstand has advantages, namely, ability to organize feeds into folders. Also, a bug i pointed out was fixed in the most recent release. and another suggestion of mine will be fixed, where i mentioned too much of the title was "scrunched" up due to him using a screen wide column to hold dates in the aggregate view. he agreed and is looking to fix it.

As for the cover flow view of newsstand, as the previous poster said, it is just a gimmick. unlike him, i thought it was cool for a min or two then realized what a waste it was. when viewing it, and you drill down into an article you only get a partial text of the article, to read the full text you need to put the device in portrait mode. so the cover flow thing is limited in usefulness. in fact, if you read the reviews, enough people will mention cover flow is a waste.

So if you are like me and want to keep your master feeds on google reader, and use an app to pull in feeds to your reader, if you want time stamps in your articles, if you want to control articles pulled in not by # of articles but by how many days old they are, and if you want a dev open to suggestions and ideas, manifesto is the way to go.

hope this helped

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Mmm...i might try Manifesto too then. I'm hating NetNewsWire!! It's giving me problems with the syncing..

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
i like newsstands better because i don't want 243-9-024920 feed items in my lists, once i read it, i don't want to see it no more.

you can flag those you want to keep.

this argument is stupid, "i want to keep more than 50", do you keep all the papers you read? since your birth?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
i like newsstands better because i don't want 243-9-024920 feed items in my lists, once i read it, i don't want to see it no more.

you can flag those you want to keep.

this argument is stupid, "i want to keep more than 50", do you keep all the papers you read? since your birth?

sorry, you misunderstood or i didn't explain it right. What i meant was when pulling in the feed, the # of articles isn't capped with manifesto as it is with newsstand. With manifesto you can set it so that articles older than a day or 3 days or whatever is AUTOMATICALLY removed. with newsstand, the oldest articles get automatically removed since they will only keep 50. The problem with that is if you have a feed that potentially has more than 50 feeds in a day, you will not know what the articles were prior to the first 50. this is not the case with manifesto.

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
give a suggestion to the dev, the limit is 100 isn't it? and isn't that enough for 1 day? lol

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Hmmm...I like Newsstand a lot, but will have to take a closer look at Manifesto. Thx for the "extended" review.

BTW, as previous posted mentioned reading helps a lot.:D

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
i would read, but my brain tends to block whiners.

also the fact that he believes the limit is 50 rather than 100, probably means he doesn't read much either.

now he's going to whine that 100 isn't enough.

-sigh-

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
i would read, but my brain tends to block whiners.

also the fact that he believes the limit is 50 rather than 100, probably means he doesn't read much either.

now he's going to whine that 100 isn't enough.

-sigh-

as i said, i removed newsstand from my iphone. i do know the first version of newsstand only allowed 50 articles per feed. if it is 100 now, then that was probably recently added. however you still failed to see my point. it's not about the exact # of articles that bothered me but the fact that i prefer no cap on # of articles but want articles going back x days with no cap. got it? i don't know how much more simply i need to explain that concept.

as for whining.........hardly. original poster wanted first hand feedback on the two apps and i provided it. it's a matter of preferences and i gave my reasons for making manifesto my go to app. you on the other hand seemed to take my feedback personally and you've been awfully defensive about newsstand.

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
no cap = archive of newspapers inside your house.

i think this is a psychological manner.

.... i used to buy papers before the net.... through them in the garbage the next day....

kind of like.... the same thing but... omgz, its on the phone, therefore i must browse the 1850's, that stuff is useful.

-blink-

OMG THE LIGHT HAD HIT ME

I HAVE THE INTERNET AT HOME, WIKEPEDIA, HISTORY CHANNEL AND A BUNCH OF OTHER SOURCES FOR ME TO SPEND HOURS OF TIME FIGURING OUT HOW THE PAST WAS LIKE.

omg, high school definitely did not have a civilizations class, well maybe not in america, in canada, i think i dreamed about it or seen it on screen somewhere.

if only i could hold every vision, every thought, everything inside my phone, i could create my own planet! i want everyone's footsteps since 9/11/2008

i just remembered, i tend to skip things i don't like, just like an RSS FEED that tells me britney is mad at her mom! i don't want a limit cap, i want to keep this in my harddrive!! goddddddd what's ths send to email thing used for? such a useless feature!

/end trolling

noisebleed

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
god coming back from work and reading forums is always a nice extra entertaining boost before hitting the sack.

here ladies, a color tour guide of how forums are useful.

Attachments

• forums for kids.jpg
    forums for kids.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 173

Xander212

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008

Have been having problems using Byline...is Newstand an offline reader? Since I'm using the iPt this is important. Also you mentioned that Newsstand accepts folders...Byline says it will in the future....find that folders would simplify a lot.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Manifesto 1.0.2 Upgraded

This resolves many crashing issues and is securely in my #1 RSS spot.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
manifesto is the way to go. great developer who is open to suggestions and addresses issues quickly.

i can't stress how nice manifesto is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.