Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Why is that thumbnail upside down..... lol. Anyway.......

I cloned a drive and when i tried to boot it, it wants a password to login. I don’t use a password so i just hit enter which isn’t an issue with the original drive, but the cloned one seems to have a permissions issue. This happened to another drive i cloned once and i manually added an admin while I had the drive in an external caddy, but NOT booted up. I was just exploring the drive. That was a few year ago and i have forgotten how I did it. I spent a lot of time cloning my drive and would like to work on permissions later, but get the computer running for now With a clean admin so i can use it without formatting everything I’ve done. I remember this issue i had before with a blank password. If i had put a password before doing this it would have worked fine. Hindsight.

TLDR; drive in external caddy, not booted just exploring. How to manually add admin account?

77A262D6-571D-4FC2-B04F-017067AAD98D.jpeg

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Thanks, that would work, but this is somewhere in the system files. It boots to log in, but doesn’t accept just hitting enter. I fought this a few years ago with the same setup. It wants a password where I don’t have one. On the original drive something has told it that the enter key is acceptable. On the cloned drive it doesn’t have the reference. After days of fighting it i created another admin and eventually gave up. Now I don’t remember the process to do that. This time I’m going to keep trying, but i want the computer up and running until then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.