Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dpscc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Downloaded Catalina today and, so far, mostly good. The one question I have:

I always manage my iPhone media library (music and music videos) manually. They're not copied to the Macbook, only on the iPhone (mostly because it's TOO much media – hundreds of Gb, more than my Macbook can handle...).

But I haven't figured out how to upload new media to the iPhone now under Catalina.

In the Finder, when clicking on the new phone link, I still see the General settings, where it does say I should be able to manually manage my library.

However, when I do choose the music tab, all I have is a "Sync" option that's grayed out, and I seem to be locked out otherwise, without an option to manage the phone's library manually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
Downloaded Catalina today and, so far, mostly good. The one question I have:

I always manage my iPhone media library (music and music videos) manually. They're not copied to the Macbook, only on the iPhone (mostly because it's TOO much media – hundreds of Gb, more than my Macbook can handle...).

But I haven't figured out how to upload new media to the iPhone now under Catalina.

In the Finder, when clicking on the new phone link, I still see the General settings, where it does say I should be able to manually manage my library.

However, when I do choose the music tab, all I have is a "Sync" option that's grayed out, and I seem to be locked out otherwise, without an option to manage the phone's library manually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
There is NO WAY to do drag and drop transfers from the new apps that replaced iTunes.
Well, not exactly true if you are willing to nuke everything you have on your iOS devices. You can choose to sync. This will erase every music file. Then you can use drag and drop to fill your library again, because now it works. Hej, what’s the problem erasing 10 thousand files and I don’t know how many well organised playlists? Apple wants you to do it. So do it. YOU HEAR?

Reactions: Dpscc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.